alembic export from Houdini to Maya

cloudfx

Great.

I will be using mental ray to render this and would there be an expression to put in for diffuse color parameter (or similar) to have my shader to read vertex/point's Cd attribute from Houdini?

Any example would be really helpful. Thank you :)

I dont use mr anymore but I think once you can read alembic successfully, vertex color will become a maya color set.

You can then do whatever you like in mr with its vertex color node.

Check the colormix example come with houdini, and promote Cd into a vertex attribute would do, and cross your finger that maya abcImport works fine,

If you import, with CD attribute by default, Alembic will import but you wont see anything on Viewport however, Maya wires the wrong information to world/mesh, in this case it tries to make a mesh out of CD and it fails, in this case fix the connections from Node editor, I wasnt able to read back the Cd properly, so I am open that suggestion as well.

I dont use mr anymore but I think once you can read alembic successfully, vertex color will become a maya color set.

You can then do whatever you like in mr with its vertex color node.

Check the colormix example come with houdini, and promote Cd into a vertex attribute would do, and cross your finger that maya abcImport works fine,

Could you tell me more about how to read the vertex color of the geometry into shader? (I am not a maya confortable dude)

and also where would I change HDF5? format setting

Edited by cloudfx

I got this error when I export with HDF5 from H13 to Maya2014.

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2014/scripts/AETemplates/AEnewColor.mel line 42: Attribute facetted:attribpromote4.Cd is not vector-valued.

-rcs / recreateAllColorSets

IC3/4fArrayProperties with face varying scope on

IPolyMesh and ISubD are treated as color sets even if

they weren't written out of Maya.

-rcs options seems to work.