Particle Self Collide NEW POPs

breadbox

I'm trying to use the latest POP's in DOP workflow to create a particle sim with RBD bullet on top to create particles that collide with themselves.

my particle instances will be fairly spherical.. a default "sphere" collision may work. but lets assume whole hog for the moment.  

I sort of understand the workflow to create a RBD fracture object and then in the DOPS use POP forces to drive the movement of the objects... But I don't want to start with a "fixed" number of copies.

What if I want to start with a source pop and use a RBD solver to prevent SELF collisions?  This way the particles will birth from an object in the normal way and they will bounce off one another when forces push them around? should be fairly simple right?  

I just saw this thread and my heart sank.... 

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/17614-particle-self-collision/

say it ain't so??!... I cant believe when a software as awesome as Houdini gets beat out by other apps (maya nParticles).  It seems like this should be default built in behavior. I'm not sure c4D might even have this capability out of the box.   

I checked this also:

$HFS/houdini/help/examples/nodes/dop/rbdpointobject/popswithrbdcollision.otl

But it doesn't seem to work if you want to generate NEW particles each frame.  All the points must be copy from the beginning which is kind of a deal breaker.

That's a cool technique. I'm extremely happy to see this.  It's a little bit cumbersome, but not totally unreasonable. Drawbacks are the network gets tossed around between different contexts, and the particle forces ALL need to be applied as DOPforces, or custom VOPforces. I wonder if this could be updated with H13, using new particles and a multisolver so that new POPForces would work, such as POP axis force. That would be so awesome!   

I think the way to do this now in H13, which would be much more efficient and simulate faster, would be to use a multisolver setup with RBD solver and SOP solver.  Have the sop solver generate the particles, assign geometry to them, and store them as packed primitives.  Then send that data into the simulation as a RBD packed object, rather than the RBD point object (which creates a new DOP object per point - far less efficient than the RBD packed object is in H13 for large data sets).  And, as a bonus, since the packed data is just points, the POP force dops should work on them.

If I have some time tomorrow or the next day I will see if I can set that up and post it here.

-Adam

Edited by bandini