overwrite attributes on delayload geometry

Hi,

Is there a way to do this ?

In my scene I have some curves with a width attribut and I want to delayload this geometry with alembic or delayLoadProcedural *.bgeo sequences.

Then I wish to tweak the width attributes on the curves without recache my geometry.

I try to do this in the shop but it doesnt work.

Do you have an idea ?

Thank

papi

• Like 1

No, it's not possible do that. Any attribute written to bgeo file, will be used by mantra itself, not houdini, and there is no way to modify it. You can use however alembic delayed load procedural and specify "attribute file". Any attributes in this file can be used instead of attributes on original alembic file. Anyway you should have strong reasons to use delayed load procedural with you curves. In most cases, using PolySoup + Packed Primitive allow houdini to export geometry pretty quickly, and you always can change any attribute.

And of course there is an option to use clusterThis procedural by Peter Claes.

And of course there is an option to use clusterThis procedural by Peter Claes.

The clusterThis procedural was programmed by Mark (xionmark), not by me. Although I dabbled a bit in the HDK a few years ago, code is on my blog, but probably doesn't work with 13.

But in essence, if you want to modify any of those attributes that are baked in the ego at rendertime, you can't unless you create your own procedural. If your data is not too heavy, re-caching is the easiest solution.

--thanks for the hint in regards to the alembic attribute file, I did not know that :).

Mmmm I'm probably missing something here but is is perfectly possible to do that using CVEX.

Different thing is that unfortunately, you need to write your own procedural.

But you can modify any attribute at render time using CVEX.

I don't understand why the default delayed load procedural don't support this by default.

Also poly soups are not really helpful if you are rendering curves.