best way to put velocity attribs on mesh from vdb?

exel

I always assume I'm missing something obvious.

I'm doing some FLIP tests and would like to stick with VDB to create my meshes.  Using the "VDB from Particle Fluid" SOP seems good-ish, but I'm left with a mesh that won't motion blur in mantra.

So far I've tried creating another vdb using "vdb from particles", and sampling in "v" (using the additional point attributes options), and then transferring it over to the mesh with an Attribute from Volume SOP, but that doesn't seem like the greatest approach, and effectively doubles the amount of cooking involved.  And I want to avoid the attribute transfer SOP for this, things will get ugly if I try to crank up the resolution.

Maybe the "VDB from Particle Fluid" SOP just needs the same point attribute options that "VDB from Particles" has?  Would it be better to pull the surface volume from DOPs and work with that? (instead of importing the particles)

Thanks for any tips you can provide!

-JS-

Whats wrong with AttribTransfer from the particles to the mesh? Thats the way the shelf tools is set up anyway. For a while they had a wrangle sop with a pointcloud thing, which basically did the same thing and the time difference was (or is now) neglible.

If you want the vel as a field, you already have that from the sim. Why not import that and convert to a VDB or what you now want to do.

Whats wrong with AttribTransfer from the particles to the mesh? Thats the way the shelf tools is set up anyway. For a while they had a wrangle sop with a pointcloud thing, which basically did the same thing and the time difference was (or is now) neglible.

If you want the vel as a field, you already have that from the sim. Why not import that and convert to a VDB or what you now want to do.

Thanks David,

Woops, yeah, pulling the vel field out of DOPs is smarter, thanks.  I'll keep experimenting, I'm hoping to come up with technique that will scale up well when I start getting upwards of 8 or 10 million particles... Attribute Transfer is performing better than I remember, so I'll stick with it for now.