Phoenix FD vs Houdini FLIP

hall

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how can I optimize houdini to get the same results from Phoenix FD, actually it's really impressive the performance in 3ds max. The setup looks like houdini wave layer from shelf, but I'm not sure I'll would see the same results.

Take a look:

Thx!

Claudio.

Exactly, H13 now has the option for auto-resize. But the point here isn't about the resize feature, far from this, the thing is that it looks so light in terms of performance, in the video you can notice how it performs well, I think the surface mesh also looks so natural, to get similar effect in houdini I need to use a big tank and really low particle sep. 

I've used phoenix in the past alongside fumefx, but I dont know enough to tell you how it works internally. I do beleive phoenix is a grid based solution similar to fume, no flip involved. And my guess is it's doing some form of advecting particles with velocities from a sampled volume combined, but using a solver that resembles the default smoke solver without certain fields being processed. I've used fumefx in this manner before, where you would source density off of your ocean geo and have an object collide with it to disturb the vel field, and in pflow I would emit particles and use the fumefx nodes to influence the particle behavior based on the sims vel field, and add gravity and other forces as well as collide with the wave geo using low friction. In other words I just think phoenix and houdini's flip work differently internally and phoenix may only be viable in some scenarios than other.

Like all plugins written for 3dsmax, it looks like Phoenix is designed and optimized to do a specific task.  Of course it will be faster than a Houdini solution, Houdini isn't designed to do a specific effect.

These threads about 'can houdini do <effect> as fast/good as <3dsmax plugin>' miss the point of using Houdini imo.  The output from houdini is only as good as it's user.

Edited by ikarus

yea, agreed. There may be faster solutions in max but also once you start hitting the limits of a blackbox solver thats all the mileage you're going to get. In houdini you get a lot of low level access, if the solver isnt working you you can go inside and modify to suit your needs, thats one of the resons I moved away from max.