Cache density and vel at the same time: separate files

whodini

Hey guys I got a question for you regarding saving out cache files in a custom manner. What I want to do is distribute a sim to another machine via a geometry rop connected to my submitter (deadline submit / hqueue I have both solutions). I want to write out the density and vel for the sim each to separate file in one job. Is that do-able?

you can import them at the same time, then delete them out so that you have two steams each holding the field you want to write.
then connect a file node and point it to where you want to write the files and set the file node to automatic or write.
then merge both streams back together again.
now connect the rob node to the merge and point it to a different location and call it $HIP/something/something.0001.bgeo.
don't use $F since then you would take double the space instead of just storing the sim fields and the last frame of the sim.
send that job off and it will now write the fields to where they are.
effectively writing two or more things to different locations in one job.

In the OUT-context, create two Geometry ROPs. Pipe the first one into the second one, and then render the second one. By default they'll render frame by frame. Doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

nice one skybar! it works. I always overlook these things or, never really had to separate them until now. Thanks both of you guys! If you're curioud I separate them out to separate files in order to keep disk IO down at render time where I would be accessing only the density of the volumes, and only using the vel for secondary effects like advecting debris, etc.