UV Pelt

Henster

Couple of questions...

Is everyone still splitting their models into seperate bits and then using UVpelt or just being very clever with their cuts and keeping the whole character in one texture space?

When the iterations get high then it becomes quite tricky to tell which UVs relate to which polygon. To get round this I'm colouring the model in with the paint sop. But the colours dont get included when you save the UV texture... Possible? (I'm doing it at the mo with screen grabs)

....still loving UVPelt though!

Ta

H

I still split up the character and just pelt the body with cuts around the neck, base of the shoulders, base of the legs and a split down the spine.

Arms and legs with hands and feet cut-off. I have a generic frame that works in 99% of the cases very nicely with the correct "hint" polygon near the top-front-center of the neck split.

The head split front to back with the face usually a manual knit and some relaxation.

Hands and feet are still a chore and I may use pelt on the hands to open them up or not.

Still need a good 3d paint package to deal with the seams as I am lazy and don't want to knit all the verticies together to create a single uv map.

What are you using for 3D paint?

I dont actually use a 3d paint program.... I'm not too hot on the old texturing. I'm quite interested though.

What do you use?... are the UVs assigned in Houdini. Or do the 3d paint programs assign their own UVs which you import back into Houdini?

Cheers

H

Done a little bit of research now and I thought I'd just fill this bit in if anyone wants it in the future...

UVs can be imported into Houdini you just have to choose a file type which supports textures.

Basically use .obj and not .dxf.

Cheers

H