memory doesn't get flushed after cooking a frame

Hi, 

I've seen a few topics on this subject, but none actually solved the issue in the end. So here's the problem: 

I'm writing out a flip mesh (vdb) to disk (using the rop output driver), and the first 1-2 frames go just fine (takes +- 3 min per frame).

post-11750-0-36335400-1403026187_thumb.j

Of course Houdini uses a lot of RAM for this, but the problem is that it doesnt flush it after its finished writing out a frame. The cache stays, and houdini doesnt free up the memory, causing the whole computer to slow down (it then takes like 3 hours to write out 1 frame!).

Is there a way to clear the node cache/memory after cooking a frame?flushing the cache from the cache manager isn't really possible (since I'd need to stop the writing after every frame). After i stop the writing, the memory only frees up again after I actually close houdini.

p.s. I have an AMD FX8320, with 12GB RAM and a weta digital 3TB green HDD. Using houdini 13, on windows 7. 

Doesn't really sound like a caching problem, you are reading from disk and writing to disk. Well yeah something is wrong, but not what you think it is. Try using the latest houdini build, deleting your prefs, updating drivers etc. Might also be that the resolution of your VDB is too large for your amount of RAM, so when your fluid grows bigger you get more and more voxels - eventually leading to your RAM being maxed and it starts swapping to disk which is painful. Try lowering the res.

Doesn't really sound like a caching problem, you are reading from disk and writing to disk. Well yeah something is wrong, but not what you think it is. Try using the latest houdini build, deleting your prefs, updating drivers etc. Might also be that the resolution of your VDB is too large for your amount of RAM, so when your fluid grows bigger you get more and more voxels - eventually leading to your RAM being maxed and it starts swapping to disk which is painful. Try lowering the res.

I've noticed this problem off and on with the vdb nodes .. might be a leak somewhere but I haven't been able to put my finger on it.

-G

Well, looks like the problem dissapeared. I rearanged some nodes, put in a few new ones, replaced the VDBfromparticle by a VDBfromfluid, and it suddely worked out fine. RAM and CPU usage were stable, and the writing only took 2 min per frame (compared to 3 hours). Here's the setup: 

post-11750-0-33655300-1403385182_thumb.j

And here's the result (far from perfect, but not bad for a first try, right?):