Mass assign shader to alembic geo

J_spad

Hello,

I have a imported alembic file with many objects that I would like to assign a shadow matte shader to. I do not want to have to drag that shader or assign it per object. Could anyone help me write a script to do this? I do not know the hou modal well. 

somthing like...

myNodes = {GET ALL NODES AND CHILDREN IN ALIMBIC}

for myNode in myNodes:

if {myNode is a geo object}

{assign shader}

If you are just doing a pass-through render of the Alembic primitives, why not load the entire Alembic Archive in to the scene using a single object and an Alembic SOP referencing the archive.

Then spend a Pack Edit SOP and assign your Shadow Matte Shader to all the alembic primitives (leave group field blank).

While you are at it, move the display flag to the Pack Edit SOP and open up a Data Tree pane set to the Object Appearance plug-in option and try the assignment there as well.

Well I feel silly now! That did the trick. I would still like to see an example of that script for educational purposes if anyone has time. I am stuck on filtering the node types into a list.

Well I feel silly now! That did the trick. I would still like to see an example of that script for educational purposes if anyone has time. I am stuck on filtering the node types into a list.

it would be something like this

root = hou.node("/obj/alembicarchive1")
matpath = "/shop/shadowmatte"

geonodes = root.recursiveGlob("*", hou.nodeTypeFilter.ObjGeometry )

for geo in geonodes:
    matparm = geo.parm("shop_materialpath")
    if matparm:
        matparm.set( matpath )
  • Like 1