Particles don't stop. Why?

ITdreamer

Hi

I'm little bit confused about one thing.

I have a simple particles setup with an object as emitter and gravity. So particles are falling down with acceleration coursed by the gravity.

If I multiply the velocity with zero (in VOP POP), then the particles still moving down, but very slow and constantly.

The Dope Sheet says that these particles have zero velocity. So why the are still moving? I'm little bit confused.

Maybe someone can tell me, what is the problem?

no problem, just POP Solver is integrating force (and external forces) to v and v to P each timestep so even if you reset your v to 0, force gets added and particle is moved, it will just not accelerate as you are killing the v every timestep

• 2 months later...

I have basically the same problem.  Trying to force particles to stop moving, even though the velocity is set to zero the particles must still be getting some force.  

I was trying to modify your expression for popWrangle, but I don't know what best to use in this case. 

I was trying to say if Velocity == 0 which does not work. Ideally it could modulate with a variable in this case I am building a control to inherit velocity or to stop motion all together. 

attached is file.

NewPops_VelocityProblem - Copy.hipnc

Hi Brandon,

When I play back your scene, the details view shows the position of the points remaining static, although the force attribute does continue changing frame-to-frame along with age as expected; it does appear your popwrangle node is keeping the particles stopped, unless I have misunderstood the problem you were describing?