Stream of flowers

stig_olsen

Thats a very broad question, lots of ways to do it.

Particles with petals instanced? RBDs/Cloth? SOP tricks, CHOP tricks...

Most likely it's just a simple particle sim with the petals instanced on them.

Hi,

In the attachment project file I have created a particle stream that can be used to instance petals.

How can I have them follow the paths I decide? Can I use a curve or something else to decide where them should fly? I want to keep the motion look like its driven by the wind.

Stig

flowers.hipnc

I don't have the time to build something for you I'm afraid, maybe another OdForcer will step in to help you out.

But again, lots of ways to do it. I think there might even be a path force in the new DOPPOPs.

The way I'd approach it off the top of my head is by looking up points on a curve relative to the particles, get the vector between them (subtract one position from the other and normalize it) to get your sucking in bit, then also look up the tangent of the curve to get the direction, add those together with appropriate multipliers to get your motion right. Maybe add a twist to it as well and some extra noise. Add this vector back onto the velocity of your particles.

Thank you.

I will try to achieve this with a pop attract, and Ive pointed it to a resamples curve.

The problem is that they will not gather around the curve, they dont follow. They STICK to the curve based on point per particle and that is not what I want.

I think the key is in this pop attract node in combination with drag and probably wind to get the wanted motion, but I cant make it work!

Hope anyone can take a look at the project!

Stig

flowers.hipnc

Attached is my latest attempt to create this.

I got the best result be use a combination of pop wind (to kick them away from the emitter), a pop curve to make it follow the curve, and a pop interact to separate them.

I still feel there is need for improvement.

Hope some of you can take a look at it and help it act better.

Thanks, Stig

flowers.hipnc

Sorry, don't have time to take a look at your file but it sounds like your workflow might be using the old POPs methods.  In H13 it should be a bit easiser to tweak the force along the curve to push your particles out more as they travel along; if you're not already using them, it's probably worth checking out the POPs in DOPs training video Ari Danesh did along with the example files that includes an overview of the curve force - http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2574&Itemid=132

- R