Render properties on per object basis

hi,

There is an object in my scene that requires more samples than the rest of the scene to remove its grain. In order to keep render times low, I am adding render parameters on the object level, but I don't see any difference in my render.

Is there anything I am missing?

In the attached file, the sphere has Pixel Samples set to 16, where in the mantra node it's set to 1.

thank you

samplesOverides_01.hip

hmm that's a shame, as I am using plain raytracing, not PBR.

Well, that's not a limitation of houdini or mantra, that is how rendering works. Pixel Samples - is number of ray per pixel. After sampling is done, pixel filter applied to those samples to get final color. So there is nothing to do with object overrides.

But then I tried Min/Max ray samples and this didn't change anything either.

Well, it depends on what you trying to achieve. There is also Nose Level property. But i guess this all for PBR mode.

Btw, consider to use PBR, since raytracing mode won't give you any benefits, except for old style classic shading, which sometimes can be helpful.  

Yes, unfortunately there is no real indication in the documentation or better yet, in the UI, the resolution of particular property. There have been requests out of for this for years, as well as a way to browse the resultant property evaluation from the point of view of a ROP.

You're kind of left to intuit it with a mixture of experience and some subtle info found in the docs.

Just wanted to start a new topic, but my question is someting like TS's is.

Can I vary pixel samples or min//max ray samples PER IMAGE PLANE basis? I've just founded hidden property which can be used for different indirect samples, but what about per image plane? For example, i've got diffuse, reflect and refract channels. Can I render diffuse with 2 min ray samples, reflect with 12 and refract with 8? 

Talking about PBR. Thanks!

[ADD] In one render node, one pass.

Edited by PaulM3D

Can I vary pixel samples or min//max ray samples PER IMAGE PLANE basis? I've just founded hidden property which can be used for different indirect samples, but what about per image plane? For example, i've got diffuse, reflect and refract channels. Can I render diffuse with 2 min ray samples, reflect with 12 and refract with 8? 

No, it's not possible.

I think the best you can do is modify the Shading Quality on the lights individually, affecting the sampling from that light only. So its not per-plane, but does allow you to tweak quality in a finer-grained way than the global sampling parameters.

If you turn on verbose level 3, I think, you'll see the amount of ray generated and you should notice that they don't change by adding image planes.

I think the best you can do is modify the Shading Quality on the lights individually, affecting the sampling from that light only. So its not per-plane, but does allow you to tweak quality in a finer-grained way than the global sampling parameters.

you can also adjust sampling on reflections and refractions in the material, no?  each of these has a quality setting that i've always interpreted to act as a weighting mechanism for secondary ray generation.

• 2 weeks later...