inherit point velocity problem with packed rbds - causes a jump

sim

Hi all,

when I use 'Inherit Velocities' on the rbdPackedObject in my sim, the pieces all jump (or pop) to a different position based on their velocities in the first solve frame - Frame 2.

I'm trying to get better control of the exploding animation of my fractured rbd object. I came across the qlib destruction example recently and have been modifying my setup to use their method. It involves putting velocities onto the fractured object before it goes into dops. I like the controllability of this.

I've spent all day trying to find a way to get those velocities on my pieces without the initial pop/jump happening. 

I've attached my testing file. Any help would be greatly welcomed. By me :)

-Sim

fractureTesting_04_post.hipnc

Hi all,

when I use 'Inherit Velocities' on the rbdPackedObject in my sim, the pieces all jump (or pop) to a different position based on their velocities in the first solve frame - Frame 2.

I'm trying to get better control of the exploding animation of my fractured rbd object. I came across the qlib destruction example recently and have been modifying my setup to use their method. It involves putting velocities onto the fractured object before it goes into dops. I like the controllability of this.

I've spent all day trying to find a way to get those velocities on my pieces without the initial pop/jump happening. 

I've attached my testing file. Any help would be greatly welcomed. By me :)

-Sim

Transfer your velocity after assemble packed.

You'd better not use wrangle transfer your velocity to dop, it will set the velocity to a value forever.

I upload two HIP, you can see the different.

Hope it help.

Cheer

fractureTesting_04_post_2.hipnc

fractureTesting_04_post_1.hipnc

Edited by wateryfield

That's awesome. Thank you.

I was so close, (But no cigar.) Looking at  'fractureTesting_04_post_2.hipnc' - the important things was to move the velocity transfer to after the assemble sop. And then in the rbdPackedObject to  'inherit velocity from point velocity', but turn off 'Create Active Object'.

I read the description of the 'Create Active Object'. It kinda makes sense. The way I've interpret it is that when it's ticked, all the objects inheriting velocity will move on the the first solving frame before the popwrangle node can make them all inactive again?

Thanks again,

Simeon

That's awesome. Thank you.

I was so close, (But no cigar.) Looking at  'fractureTesting_04_post_2.hipnc' - the important things was to move the velocity transfer to after the assemble sop. And then in the rbdPackedObject to  'inherit velocity from point velocity', but turn off 'Create Active Object'.

I read the description of the 'Create Active Object'. It kinda makes sense. The way I've interpret it is that when it's ticked, all the objects inheriting velocity will move on the the first solving frame before the popwrangle node can make them all inactive again?

Thanks again,

Simeon

You are right.

If the rigidbodysolver was before the popwrangle,

And you ticked the Active Object, the object will move at first, then be inactive.

You can link the popwrangle to multisolver first, then link the rigidbodysolver.