maya like curve controls for editing curve??

Hi everybody,

I've been several days trying to do something that is very common in maya but it's driving mad in houdini (as usual, that's why I like it)   :) .... so I don't know what else to try...

So I create a simple procedural nurbs curve (so I don't know the position of the vertices beforehand)

what I am trying to do, is to position some control curves ( a nurbs circle for instance)  where the vertices of the curve are (maybe with a sweep or a copy?). and then link the position of every one of those curves  to the corresponding curve points, so when moving the control curves at object level it drags the corresponding point with it. and therefore deforming the curve.

How could I set the position of an object to a point and then make the point a child of that object?

Any help/tip/guide would be much appreciated!!!.

Thanks!!!

Edited by mondo3d

Hi kgoossens,

Thanks a lot for your post.

That is the functionality I am looking for, but I am hoping to find a solution where you can select any of those circles (not visible in your example) (at object level if possible) and then drag them around using the move and rotate tool, to modify their position. rather than controlling  their position via the numeric values.

I think my main problem is that I don't know the position of the cvs beforehand, if I did, I guess I could just setup a bone chain and moving the bones  around with a curve or a null. 

The other thing I am trying is to deform the curve with a ramp, but this is a pain in the a** because my curve is not aligned to any axis. And is definitely not as intuitive as moving points around.

any ideas, please???

Thank you!!!!

Hi kgoossens,

Thanks again!! :)

yes, you are right!!! I don't know why I didn't see that before.  :)

The only thing is that in your example, it seems that the curve cvs initially move to the position of the circles.

what I'd like to do is using an given procedural curve. I'd like to get the circles to get to the position of the curve cvs (initially) and then once they are in the right position, then as in your example, I would move the circles around modifying the cvs.

Apologies if my explanation is a bit confusing, my english is a bit weak.

Thanks again!!!

I hope you do!!!! :) 

Sorry for being a pain, but would you mind to help me understand the "@handles" line you wrote within the merge node in the curve object, please?

is that vex code to read an attribute??

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In this case it is used to get the objects I have stored in the bundle list. @handles refers to the bundle I've named handles. This allows you to import multiple objects at once without having to write an object list(script).

With a bundle you can create a collection of nodes. There is also a "smart" bundle that I have used with a pattern to select only the objects named circle. So whenever you would add a circle object to that scene it will get added to the bundle automatically. 

• 4 months later...