Newbie Pyro Question

AlphaJoe

So, I have been a Maya FX artist for many years and I am just now really starting to dig in to Houdini.  

I have been working with PyroFX and have been loving it, except there is one thing that is absolutely driving me bonkers.  In Maya I can set an initial state on a fluid container so that when I rewind the animation, the first frame is now preset to whatever frame I was on when I set the initial state.  Which, in a nutshell, all it is doing is writing out a one frame cache file to the cache directory which is in turn read when you rewind to frame one.  I cannot find an option for this in Houdini.  I have tried manually doing what Maya does and writing out a cache file via a DOP I/O (which I used the Pyro preset for fields to export), but I don't know how to replug it back in to the container.  I have tried connecting the initial data directly to the DOP I/O which was changed to Load from Disk, but I don't get any of the fire, just the density, velocity and part of the temperature.  And the temperature values are real low, like they have been normalized.

Could someone point me in the right direction to getting this to work?  I think I am on the right track, I just don't know how to reconnect everything.

Thanks

alphajoe

hi Alphajoe,

First of all glad you are making it into HOUDINI.

Actually the initial state is not inside any pyros nodes.

You can find it on the AutoDopNetwork. for any sim

here is a little cheat sheet.

remember to clear the Cache Manager

cheers

mangi

post-2848-0-01949800-1409175003_thumb.jp