Baking out camera animation!

TomRaynor

I'm a bit stuck... Hopefully someone can help.

I have a camera that has animation in it's translate and rotate channels and also is following a path object.

I am trying to bake out this camera animation (with the curve path motion) onto a fresh new camera.

I have no idea how to do this. Any help would be much appreciated!

I have attached a scene file showing what I am trying to do.

Thanks.

bakeCameraAnimation_v01.hip

Edited by TomRaynor

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to get a camera baked out by creating a new camera (with matched parameters) and using origin("","/obj/originalcam","TX") to get the worldspace transform for my original cam (just substitute TX with TY, TZ, RX, RY, RZ) to get the correct component. Then I scoped the transform and rotate channels in the channel and selected the frame range I wanted to export in the dopesheet and chose Edit>Key Selection. Then lastly I chose Channels>Export Displayed Channels as.. and saved the animation range out to a chn file. I saved a hip file with the copied camera, and read the transfroms from the chn file in chops to hook it all up. Note, you may have to parse the chn file to make the baked out data linear if you run into errors, can be done with any text editor. I wish there was an easier way but this method had been my only brute force option.

I rather not use CHOPs as I want to keep editing the animation curves, furthermore, when you are doing layout or camera tracking work in Houdini chances are, lining up scenes will require OBJ level transforms and multiple hierarchies so it is a bit convoluted approach and simply kills the normal flow of work forcing you to dive into technicalities of specific nodes, etc...

Also, there is the issue CHOPs being buggy sometimes and in this particular case I have been recently dealing with it so not the great experience it should be to be honest.

No doubt CHOPs may be the best way for the final product but IMHO not while you are developing the shot.

hope it helps