Houdini crashing

MarXindia

Hi,

I am trying to import tracked camera and single cylinder object (for position info) from Maya as Alembic.Now,Iam facing weird crashing issues like

--  when I am creating flipbook preview while it reaches end frames(none in particular but around last 50 frames) Houdini crashes .

--  But,not everytime when its not crashed the cylinder I imported from Maya disappears during end frames of flipbook and doesn`t matter what I do its not visible.

--  If I save the file and reopen still not visible.

--  if I restart houdini and reopen file object is visible again.

--  But,again while taking another preview houdini crashes again or object disappears.

solutions I tried:

A) to import  new camera with same attributes and animation baked instead of importing whole track info but doesn`t wrk.

B) to import FBX camera

C) Tried in both linux and windows same problem.

D) tried updating driver.

My graphic card is  Nvidia Geforce 780 GTX with  driver updated to 344.11 and I am using windows 8.1 and for linux Ubuntu 14.

Crash log generated: all crash logs differ so I am posting two of them

FIrst:

Crash report from frodo; Houdini FX Version 13.0.376 [windows-x86_64-cl17]
Traceback from Fri Sep 26 20:50:26 2014
Caught signal 11

+0xf9887ce6 [RE_BBoxData::getMemoryUsage]
+0xf9887c35 [RE_BBoxData::getMemoryUsage]
+0xf988a955 [RE_ElementArray::completeElementBuffer]
+0xf9889581 [RE_ElementArray::endPrims]
+0xf7814f38 [GR_PolySurfaceGL3::buildConnectivity]
+0xf780bc36 [GR_PolySurface::update]
+0xf77d100b [GR_PolySurfaceGL3::isConvexed]
+0xf77bcf38 [GR_Primitive::updatePrim]
+0xffdc9f95 [GUI_GeoRender::updatePrimitives]
+0xffdc91bc [GUI_GeoRender::update]
+0xffda6e6d [GUI_DetailLook::updateForRender]
+0xfd665f38 [DM_VPortAgent3D::setupGeometry]
+0xfd65e09b [DM_VPortAgent3D::renderViewport]
+0xfd662470 [DM_VPortAgent3D::doRender]
+0xfd64bb5e [DM_Viewport::doRender]
+0xfddc6ee3 [uI_Feel::renderMe]
+0xfddc7246 [uI_Feel::doRenderKids]
+0xfddc70bc [uI_Feel::doRender]
+0xfddc6ee3 [uI_Feel::renderMe]
+0xfddc7246 [uI_Feel::doRenderKids]
+0xfddc70bc [uI_Feel::doRender]
+0xfde87758 [uI_Viewport::reRender]
+0xfde8ba73 [uI_Window::renderChildViews]
+0xfde8bca2 [uI_Window::doRedraw]
+0xfde31e16 [uI_Queue::doWindowRedraws]
+0xfde75df5 [uI_Timer::handleEvent]
+0xfde13efb [uI_Manager::handleEvent]
+0xfde3101f [uI_Queue::processNextEvent]
+0xfde2faaf [uI_Queue::drain]
+0xfde2fb68 [uI_Queue::eventLoop]
+0xfe04b841 [AP_Interface::getWindowGeometry]
+0xfe04beff [myWinMain]
+0x7b96201c
+0x148816ad [baseThreadInitThunk]
+0x170734a5 [RtlUserThreadStart]

second:

Crash report from frodo; Houdini FX Version 13.0.376 [windows-x86_64-cl17]
Traceback from Wed Sep 24 19:32:04 2014
Caught signal 11

+0x166f2890
+0x166f27e1
+0x16760f10
+0x1675faaf
+0x1675fb68
+0x1697b841
+0x1697beff
+0x884d201c
+0x2c8316ad
+0x2eb034a5

I am stuck because of this issue.Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks

UPDATE:    If I switch off the background sequence Its not crashing and everything is fine

Edited by MarXindia

I'm having similar issues (also on a GeForce graphic card).

The only problem is that if you read the system requirement for houdini on the side effects website they specifically say

• Graphic Card drivers: NVidia: 320 or higher, AMD: FirePro 12.104.2 or higher.
  • Workstation-class OpenGL graphics cards, such as NVidia Quadro and AMD Fire Pro, are required for professional use in production.
  • Non-workstation cards, such as GeForce, Radeon, and Intel integrated graphics can be used at your own risk. They may be used for learning and personal use but are not supported: you may experience display problems, slow performance, and the software may exit unexpectedly.

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for (it wasn't for me :)),  the only thing I could do to fix it was to play with houdini preferences>3D viewports>Scene renderer

and revert my graphic card driver. but that only fixed it for a while... :(

sorry.

As side effect seems to want to get a foot in the game industry,  I hope they will support the most used graphic card in the business.. :)

We have 125 artists here and 3 have a Quadro, and I'm not included in the three... and I'm the only FX guy here!

I'm having similar issues (also on a GeForce graphic card).

The only problem is that if you read the system requirement for houdini on the side effects website they specifically say

• Graphic Card drivers: NVidia: 320 or higher, AMD: FirePro 12.104.2 or higher.
  • Workstation-class OpenGL graphics cards, such as NVidia Quadro and AMD Fire Pro, are required for professional use in production.
  • Non-workstation cards, such as GeForce, Radeon, and Intel integrated graphics can be used at your own risk. They may be used for learning and personal use but are not supported: you may experience display problems, slow performance, and the software may exit unexpectedly.

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for (it wasn't for me :)),  the only thing I could do to fix it was to play with houdini preferences>3D viewports>Scene renderer

and revert my graphic card driver. but that only fixed it for a while... :(

sorry.

As side effect seems to want to get a foot in the game industry,  I hope they will support the most used graphic card in the business.. :)

We have 125 artists here and 3 have a Quadro, and I'm not included in the three... and I'm the only FX guy here!

Hi Misterbil,

well thanks for the response.But,by far I havn`t had any Geforce issues wirth my geforce card regarding handling heavy simulations.This is the first time It crashed well I fixed this problem by removing last frames from my shot as the only workaround I could find till now :blink:  :(  :(   .Between, as  long as  comparison between Geforce and QuadroFX/ Firepro cards goes my experience by far has been grt with Geforce(for both maya and Houdini).I suppose the overall system compatibility matters than only the GPU for system stability.At my office we have more than 50 Firepro W7000 and alot of quadros but still they face unstability issues in windows,though they are better in linux. I moslty use windows-8 with my Geforce card for houdini and It never crashed while handling the processes that actually require GPU support like handling heavy volume in viewport.At office I face problem with same with Firepro cards. By the way which GPU are you using??

Edited by MarXindia