Loading tools from outside $HOME

csp

I have couple of otls, toolbars, icons, settings I am using all the time in all Houdini version. So I create a directory which looks like $HOME, having subdirectories like: config, desktop, dso, gallery, otls, presets, python2.6lbs, scripts, toolbat, etc.

Instead of coping the content of those directories to $HOME, how is possible to have a single reference to the parent directory of tools in order to load them?

Like HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH inside houdini.env but that's only for otls. Is there anything for all of them.

My favorite way of setting this up, is using $HSITE. 

I'm having everything in a studio centralized network drive arranged in same folders as you find inside $HFS/houdini. Then you just need to set $HSITE env variable  pointing to that location (globaly or using .env file. doesn't really matter) and you're good to go. 

Here is a nice rundown about how it works SideFX forum - How much stuff can be put in $HSITE?

• 4 weeks later...

I am using $HSITE successfully in work where the os is linux. But how to have it work in OS X? I have set the environment variable in .bash_profile:

export HSITE=/Users/username/Documents/Houdini

and I can see it when running hconfig -ap:

$HSITE = /Users/csp/Documents/Houdini

but nothing inside there will be available inside Houdini, not the python script under python2.6libs subdirectory or otls or anything else.

What am I doing wrong in OSX?

My favorite way of setting this up, is using $HSITE. 

I'm having everything in a studio centralized network drive arranged in same folders as you find inside $HFS/houdini. Then you just need to set $HSITE env variable  pointing to that location (globaly or using .env file. doesn't really matter) and you're good to go. 

Here is a nice rundown about how it works SideFX forum - How much stuff can be put in $HSITE?