Houdini under Linux (Mint) permissions problems

danw

Grr and also argh!

Attempting to install Houdini under Linux Mint 17.1.  This is a clean install, with nVidia drivers loaded, and just about nothing else done to it yet.  I'm running it with the default Administrator level user account.  Installation seemed straightforward enough, but running anything would cause a seg-fault.  It turned out that I can sudo-run-anything just fine, it'll only segfault when it doesn't have root permissions.  This seems to include hkey, houdini itself, hqueue.

I got the feeling this had gone a lot smoother in the past, but I haven't used Linux in years and I'm thoroughly rusty.  What blindingly obvious things am I missing that would enable me to run without needing to sudo every command, and have hqueue server/client and the license server start up correctly at boot/login without intervention?  I know the license server requires root to install/run, and it appears to be the only thing that is working fine without manual sudo-ing.  I should be able to install as root to /opt, and still run Houdini from a user account without elevated privelages though, right?

Doesn't appear to create anything in /tmp/ when it segfaults.  It all runs perfectly when I run with sudo, it just seems like it never even gets started otherwise.  It's not like an interface pops up and then crashes... all I get is a quick, simple "Segmentation fault" reported in the shell.

Am I right in having run:

sudo ./houdini.install

- following the instructions, picking the main app, icons, license server, hqueue server and client options, then accepting the default paths on everything, and only specifying the name of my main user account for hqueue in place of "hquser" ?

Should that enable it all to just run correctly from the main menu icons, without needing to sudo things?

As a brute-force test, I tried chmod-ing the entire /opt/hfs... folder to 777 permissions, and chown-ing it to be owned by my default admin user account, and it *still* will only run correctly if I prefix everything with sudo.  Doesn't appear that even sudo would be a workaround though, as when I try to call Mantra from inside Houdini, it just never runs, which I presume is being caused by the same thing.

I'm thinking I might test out a H13 build, and maybe give it a try on another Linux distribution, see if it's Houdini playing up, Linux, or if (as I suspect) it's just me being an idiot :-)

Um... yep.  That appears to have done the job :-)

Dammit... first rule of Houdini quirks... "Delete the damned preferences and try again!"

I need to get that tattooed on my arm or something.

Cheers Edward!

I think the occasional bug where the installer accidentally creates a $HOME/houdiniX.Y directory bug has cropped up again. Please submit steps to reproduce. ie. the options you selected in the installer which led to ~/houdini14.0 being created with root permissions.

• 2 weeks later...

Another problem - figure I'll keep it under one thread rather than start a new one, although not particularly related.

Well, I basically got HQueue running just fine under Linux Mint 17.1 after working out the permissions and some NFS mounting quirks.

The only problem now is, I'm still having to manually run commands like "sudo /opt/hqueue/scripts/hqserverd restart" to get the HQueue server and client services to run.  I assumed these would be configured to start automatically by default, but either they're not by design, or something in the installer process is going wrong.

What is the accepted "correct" way to have these services run at startup?  From my old, rusty Linux knowledge, I'd figure to whack those commands into my .cshrc file or something, but I get the feeling adding sudo commands into my user login script might be asking for trouble, assuming it'd even work.

Hmm... hqserverd itself tells me:

#   This script goes in the appropriate init.d directory with symlinks
#   called S96hqserverd in /etc/rc[2345].d and K96hqserverd in /etc/rc[s016].d

Is this what I need to do, copy hqserverd into init.d, and create a whole bunch of symlinks, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

...if it is the right idea, shouldn't the installer be setting this up automatically?