rbd sinking

supremeoh

Hey, how's it going? I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on Rbd where once the sim begins the RBD object sinks into the ground a bit. How can i prevent this? I'm placing it as close to the floor already. But I still get that moment where it sinks into the ground a bit as the sim begins. And its quite noticeable.  In my setup its just a torus with vdbFromPolygon RBD object. thanks!

hip file attached

floodtest_001.hipnc

Edited by supremeoh

You should have feed VDB volume to RBD's Poxy Voulme field rather than in SOP path.

May be it happens because you used shelf tool with display flag on VDB. Before using shelf tool you need to set display flag upstream on polygon geometry (in your scene xform1).

Or create vdbfrompolygon in separate branch after sending polygon geometry to DOPs.

VDB volumes work fine in DOPs for collision purpose with both flip and rbd solver. No need to convert those to Houdini volumes.

Just for clarity, DOPs converts all VDBs to Houdini Volumes internally; VDBs aren't used directly by any of the Houdini Solvers (yet). But the conversion is really fast/efficient, and in my limited experience I've found it's always easier to get good collision geom with VDB -> Proxy Volumes.

Just for clarity, DOPs converts all VDBs to Houdini Volumes internally; VDBs aren't used directly by any of the Houdini Solvers (yet). But the conversion is really fast/efficient, and in my limited experience I've found it's always easier to get good collision geom with VDB -> Proxy Volumes.

Yes, I should have mentioned that.

Thanks for all the help guys! So I changed all the VDB Proxy like you said. For VDBfromPolygons for the exterior and interior band voxels should it be a low or high number? Should the box be tightly around the torus objects ? I'm still trying to figure out the mask so that torus doesn't drop into the floor when simulation begins.