subtracting volumes in pyro explosion for flipbook

blendingshadow

Hey,

I am looking for a way to subtract the volume data from a pyro explosion so I can layer it an engine later via flip books.

I want to render out a flip book with the smoke and fire in different elements and or passes. 

The smoke will need to sit on top of the explosion, the issue I am having is the alpha?

Would cutting the volume in half work? If so how would you do that? Are there rendering trips for depth that you can utilise it in post?

Thanks

The last part of the video is just the aov's you get get the pyro shader already (smoke mask, fire mask, etc). The others are just simple RGB lighting. If you have a sim already and are unsure about how to deal with aov's in houdini, here is a video to get you started:

https://vimeo.com/98484834

Once you have an understanding how it works, put down a pyro shader and go inside it. Inside you should see some nodes labeled export_smoke_color, export_fire_color, etc. Those are what getting exported from the shader and what you have to add to your mantra ROP.

-Ryan