streaky i3d

lynbo

Hey all

I'm having trouble with i3d render. I have a fast moving object

in my scene and no matter what params I adjust in either the metacloud

or the output or texturefog I get streaky render. I tried different inherit velocity on, of,f 0, 1, settings and I am looking for some idea where to try and fix this. I'll send screens and a file in a bit. I have to get back to my own machine first.

This happens in H7?

14050[/snapback]

Actually I started the scene in 6.1 and moved it up to 7 then did some

tests independent of my scene, just with objects moving at the same speed

to see if possibly the scene had something wrong with it but I got the same

results. :huh:

There seems to be a limit because the first time I tried it everything looked

great, but it seems I wasnt moving fast enough. When I replicated the movement more precisely I got the same streaky render.

Hang on...

heres an image the top half is the contrail tutorial from techimage, the

bottom one is a fast moving emmiter (cylinder geo) moving from offscreen top to bottom. I would like to get the same results in both. The settings for

the volumefog and i3d stuff is almost the same for these two scenes, just a few tweaks and such but nothing that would cause this. The contrail image is what I was going for... but you knew that :) . Thanks

post-644-1096509373.jpg

Hey there,

Perhaps it's the division setting of the i3d generator? Because when you have a contrail that travels couple miles long, the voxel space get stretched from the insufficient subdivision in one of the axis. Perhaps that's the problem? :unsure:

Another thing is, though I don't know if this has been fixed in H7, is that the supersampling of the i3dGen is set too high, you may potentially have some straight line cut through a part of the i3d file. In this case, you probabaly want to lower the resolution -- which can potentially give you a better detail sometimes.

HTH,

Alex

Hey there,

Perhaps it's the division setting of the i3d generator? Because when you have a contrail that travels couple miles long, the voxel space get stretched from the insufficient subdivision in one of the axis. Perhaps that's the problem?  :unsure:

Another thing is, though I don't know if this has been fixed in H7, is that the supersampling of the i3dGen is set too high, you may potentially have some straight line cut through a part of the i3d file.  In this case, you probabaly want to lower the resolution -- which can potentially give you a better detail sometimes.

HTH,

Alex

14057[/snapback]

Hey Alex

I have another grab here that shows the metaballs wireframe and the

render region. It shows the sreaking better. I can understand if this is a subsample problem but I cranked up oversampling. it didnt seem to have any effect except to take longer. I have tried lowering resolution to 32 which seemed to be better but not good enough. When you say i3d vision setting what parameter exaxctly do you mean? I think I adjusted every widget in the interface. Hmmmm....

BTW what is HTH?

:)

post-644-1096588497.jpg

Hey Alex

I have another grab here that shows the metaballs wireframe and the

render region. It shows the sreaking better. I can understand if this is a subsample problem but I cranked up oversampling. it didnt seem to have any effect except to take longer. I have tried lowering resolution to 32 which seemed to be better but not good enough. When you say i3d vision setting what parameter exaxctly do you mean? I think I adjusted every widget in the interface. Hmmmm....

BTW what is HTH?

:)

post-644-1096588497.jpg

14059[/snapback]

Eeeeep. I meant to say "turn down the Oversampling" to like 2 or something. an crank up the resolution in one of the axis where it's the longest -- like 64x128x64 or something. Any chance that you can post a larger picture or something? It's kinda hard to see the renders.

Also another thing you might like to take a look at is the volumetric shader's "Step Size" (smaller step size would produce finer detail) -- depending on the size of the over scene.

HTH stands for "Hope That Helped". :) (Or so I think...)

-Alex

Eeeeep. I meant to say "turn down the Oversampling" to like 2 or something. an crank up the resolution in one of the axis where it's the longest -- like 64x128x64 or something. Any chance that you can post a larger picture or something? It's kinda hard to see the renders.

Also another thing you might like to take a look at is the volumetric shader's "Step Size" (smaller step size would produce finer detail)  -- depending on the size of the over scene.

HTH stands for "Hope That Helped". :) (Or so I think...)

-Alex

14060[/snapback]

Oh right HTH got it

I have tried oversampling up and down the scale but I dont think I tried

anything as small as 2. I will try 64 128 64 I usually keep those the same, but why should I? I completely overlooked that. DUH? :blink:

I have tried step size at anything form .002 -> 1 ;) just for fun.

Here is a larger render for you. Notice the blockiness. This render is after I adjusted the speed of the object to be about half of what it was. I'm trying not to post any large images unless I need to.

post-644-1096596808.jpg

Hmm... I see I see... Not sure what else I can think of at the moment. I'll have to give it a try later today to see if I can reproduce that same problem.

14066[/snapback]

Hey Alex

Well I decided to start over with this scene in a different version. It works fine now. :unsure:

Even though I tried these fast moving objects by themselves in a newer version. :huh:

So it would seem that the old nodes dont play nice with the new nodes.

I had opened this scene (which was built in 6.1.208) in 7 and as you saw

had the same problem. <_<

Well anyhoo let me know if you could repro this.

Thanks

Hey Alex

Well I decided to start over with this scene in a different version. It works fine now. :unsure:

Even though I tried these fast moving objects by themselves in a newer version. :huh:

So it would seem that the old nodes dont play nice with the new nodes.

I had opened this scene (which was built in 6.1.208) in 7 and as you saw

had the same problem. <_<

Well anyhoo let me know if you could repro this.

Thanks

14095[/snapback]

Hi Lyn,

That's interesting... Puzzling too. I haven't had a chance to actually play with the volumetric rendering just yet as I was trying to get a problem solved at work. Though I did have a little bit of chance to play with the i3d, but not for volumetric rendering, tho.

Glad to konw you got it to work. :)

-A