looping noise

Hello,

I am looking for a VOP way to loop noise animated offset in time, with a specific loop duration.

I tried the solution to add sin($T) in the offset but the reverse effect is quite visible sometime.

Thx a lot.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/vex/functions/pnoise

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/nodes/vop/periodicnoise

This one should repeat over space so if you offset the input position manually over time by your periodicity it should loop. I say "should" because I haven't had a chance to try it.

Edit: This is obviously a very simple noise, but I think you should be able to figure out how to add lacunarity and other features to it. 

Edited by JonathanGranskg

• 7 months later...
  • 7 years later...
On 4/8/2015 at 8:05 AM, pasto said:

Thanx a lot Jonathan, I should have searched the help…

Have a good day.

A simple trick that work for me. 

In an "Attribute VOP" plug the time into a "Multiply node", plug a "Parameter node" in the same "multiply node", Call it "Nancy"... i personally use "Speed". Promote the "Speed" value parameter. And if you want to set it to always have it looping use the speed you want (a value of 1 for instance, usually too fast for my taste), then divide that by the amount of frames of your sequence (Not sure $FEND works in the VOP context), and then multiply that result by your frame rate (Usually 30FPS). Now you got something that loops. Then Multiply that result (put an other multiplier, create an other parameters... call that one "Nancy"... i like to use "Looping Speed Multiplier). And then Promote again that new param (Looping Speed Mult). And No matter what value you use in the later, it should always loop. 

Cheers, 

A.