polar coordinate xform handle?

I'm not sure if this is really what I need, but it's what I want...

Is there a manipulator handle that will allow one to set a translate parameter by controlling origin, distance and uv/latlong coordinates?

I'm looking for a way to do this intuitively in the 3D viewport.

EDIT:

To clarify.  Ideally I want to move position and origin handles in the 3D viewport that translates to rotation, distance and origin values on a node.

Edited by jonp

Another way this would work is if I could use the transform manipulator to scale and rotate at the same time... can I just somehow hold down a hotkey to adjust the uniform scale parameter while rotating?  (kind of like hitting shift to adjust the brush size when painting).;

Edited by jonp

I think I figured out a way...  the camera and light handles have controls like this.

...except that they don't map linearly to the parameters.  So I'm still looking for a solution.

Edited by jonp

use a uvproject sop. 

append a uvquickshade sop

with the display flag on the uvquickshade sop select the uvproject sop, go to initialize tab, press intialize, mouse over scene viewer, press enter

*edit*

with the mouse over the scene viewer, use e,t,r to cycle through scale,rotate,translate

Edited by 3iart

That doesn't really do what I want, unfortunately.

Closest example of what I want is the camera manipulator.  Where if you grab and move the lookat target of the handle, it automatically converts those translation movements in 3D space into rotation and focus parameter values.  It would be perfect, except that handle isn't mapped 1:1 with the focus distance.

Edited by jonp