Anyone using Radeon R9 290x for Houdini?

magneto

Hi,

This card seems like it's half the price of GTX 980. Is it a good card to upgrade from GTX 580 compared to GTX 980 which is a lot more expensive?

I remember reading a lot of issues about it when used for Houdini so not sure if things have changed.

Yup.

As of now it works fine. 

I played only a little bit with the whole GPU acceleration for fluids. So I cant really say anything about that.

Most of the Stuff I had to do needed mor ram than the 8Gigs that come with the card…

If you have any specific questions I am more than happy to reply.

• Like 1

Thanks. I thought it only had 4GB? Do you use 2 of them?

Also I read but it seems like some people compare these to GTX 780 for some reason. I am not up to date with the GFX cards to know much.

Apart from GPU rendering, is there any advantage to having more GPU RAM? I know a faster card helps but not sure how having more memory benefits Houdini.

There is the Sapphire R290 Vapor X version which holds 8Gigs.

I was thinking this could help with doing RnD in rather Low Resolutions.

Not rendering but Simulating using OpenCL. The OpenCL support is afaik better on the AMD side than on the Nvidia Side of things.

• Like 1

More observations about OpenCL performance in Houdini 14.0.291:

I tried running the same pyro smoke simulation (1500 frames, no caching, straight to disk) on the following hardware. Results are in minutes:seconds format:

Software mode:

29:20 - Intel i7-5960X CPU @ 4.3GHz

OpenCL Mode:

7:20 - GeForce GTX 660 2GB         (OpenCL 1.2 CUDA)

7:19 - Radeon R2 290 4GB           (OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP, 1642.5)

8:30 - Intel i7-5960X CPU @ 4.3GHz (OpenCL 1.2, Build 57)

I was really surprised that the Radeon wasn't any faster than the GeForce. The other surprise was how fast the CPU is with the Intel OpenCL driver. For now, I'm going to use the CPU/OpenCL and wait for the next gen graphics cards to be released.

Edit: There's also a big discrepancy in the look of results from the OpenCL vs software mode simulations. The OpenCL-generated ones don't seem to dissipate density properly. Can anyone else confirm this?

Edited by acc3d
  • Like 1