Calm Body of Water With Ripples??

Hey guys! I'm new-ish to Houdini, and this is probably a silly question, but bear with me.

I'm trying to make a pretty large body of flowing water, think Thames River, with some ripples caused by static bodies intersecting with the surface of the water, like column from a bridge for example.

I've used the Ocean Waves shelf tool and I've gotten a surface that I'm pretty happy with. I tried using the ripple deformer, but that just caused a round ripple on the surface that was not pulled downstream with the flow of the water.

I saw a tutorial that used a bulge deformer that was animated and then sent into DOPs with the ripple solver, and that caused the ripple to form kind of a wake behind the bulge which is sort of what I'm looking for.

However, I can't figure out how to get that animation to work together with the Ocean Waves, so that i have a calm body of flowing water with a bit of a wake from the intersecting objects.

If anyone had any ideas that could help, I'd be forever grateful.

Cheers!

there was a game demo (I can't remember what game...but I'm pretty sure they used Houdini...one of the Uncharted?)

and IIRC they calculated the flow of the water, in texture space, and included obstacles (rocks etc) then used that flow to distort the displacement of the surface...

I had an idea about this but haven't tried it...you might be able to find obstacles and bake an occlusion pass then use that in the displacement shader... 

there was a game demo (I can't remember what game...but I'm pretty sure they used Houdini...one of the Uncharted?)

and IIRC they calculated the flow of the water, in texture space, and included obstacles (rocks etc) then used that flow to distort the displacement of the surface...

I had an idea about this but haven't tried it...you might be able to find obstacles and bake an occlusion pass then use that in the displacement shader... 

was it by any chance this one?

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2010/siggraph2010_vlachos_waterflow.pdf

Hey guys! Thanks for the pdf! I was sort of hoping to do this with maybe a splash tank, or finding some way to merge the bulge deformer and ripple solver with the ocean waves shelf tool. The normal maps and displacement maps that were described in the pdf were a little out of my league. But I can give it a try and see if it works out.

Let me know if you guys have any other ideas!