Cloth Pulling wires

Jebbel

Hi guys,

This is a test I have so far:

I'm trying to attach cloth to a wire. This was semi successful as you can see in the video. though a lot of weird things are happening. Ideally I'd like the cloth to pull the wire in the wind. It needs to be a wire with celebratory flags on it. like this:

https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5188417/il_fullxfull.281185156.jpg

How would one go about this? theoretically the wire should be quite low in resistance but due to the drag of the flags it should move. Am I correct in thinking that the flags should be cloth objects (driven by a wind force) constrained to a wire?

Any tips or advice are greatly appreciated :).

Wiresolver.hip

Edited by Jebbel

• 2 weeks later...

I took a look at the file and the first thing I thought was the hand drawn curve is kind of rough in point distribution, perhaps that is part of the problem. I followed up your drawcurve with a Refine (in unrefine mode, activate Second U, set to 1.0, set First U to 0.0) Then follow that with a resample to evenly restore points across the curve.

NOTE: When I did this it broke the contrsints you had setup, I think, because the point numbers changed.

I don't know enough about this kind of sim to help any further but I am interested in a solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started looking at a similar problem so I had a go at your sim. 

I think the green constraint spheres jumping around in the sim are a good indication that it needs some sub-stepping. Also there wasn't any damping on the wire, which helps remove excess energy and jerking around.

I managed to get a working version by:

- increasing the substeps on the wiresolver

- adjusting the parameters for the wire object (physical and elastic properties)
- moving the wind force to the cloth object only (found in the drag tab).

Not a huge amount of movement on the flag but you could probably fiddle with the wind force and the properties of the cloth to get more variation.

Wiresolver_2.hipnc