Hey guys,

I have imported a tree in houdini, but since it only has one primitive when I load it in I am using the UV Connectivity option in the connectivity to split the geo up in more primitives. (I am trying to give each branch their own ID). That all works great, the problem is that the attribute BRANCH_ID that equals 0 is not the root of the tree and that messes up the hierarchy I am trying to put together. Is there anyone who knows if it's possible to renumber the primitives in a controllable manner?

Cheers,

Eline

Hi, unfortunately I can't exactly answer what are you asking, but the first question would be why do you have it as a single mesh? As far as I know, any export/import option in houdini preserves an original hierarchy in some way (either by splitting a model into objects or by defining groups). it is probably possible to separate somehow but it is complicating things very much. Regarding workflow, I would rather choose different method than messing with IDs. What about measuring the area of connected pieces? Smallest ones are probably leaves, which makes most of the work done. Of course it depends on how exactly the model is built and it may not work in some cases. Anyway if you have an access to the original model my advice is to make the proper export. 

Cheers, D.

Hello Eline,

If I understood well  BRANCH_ID is not per primitive, but per piece, so is not a matter of reordering primitives, but just assigning a different value to the attribute.

How do you want the pieces to be ordered? 

If it's a hierarchy i would have a look at the shortest path sop, or however it is called, and try to use the output attributes to guide your ordering. 

Hi David and Andrea,

Thanks for responding! The tree is unfortunately a single mesh (instead of all the branches being a mesh of their own) and there is no way I can switch it for another tree. I tried grouping the branches (in Modo) before the export but that doesn't seem to show when I import it again in Houdini. The only other solution I can think of is splitting the geo of the branches from the tree back in Modo, but I am not sure this will turn out well with the particular shape of this tree. (Also would I have to leave the holes in the mesh that it will create open, or should I close them?) The goal is that the tree will be swaying heavily in the wind (with wiresim) to eventually break altogether. I have added my file so you can have a clearer idea of what I am talking about.

Andrea, I am still fairly new to Houdini. Could you perhaps explain how I would be able to assign a different value to the attribute? 

Thanks for the help!

Eline

Tree_Odforce.rar

GroteBoom_Huis-edit-vertextmaptest.rar