how do you import an object made in a separate file?

treebucks

i'm new to houdini, coming from lightwave.

how do you open an object created in a separate file? i tested creating a box in a .hip file and another box in another .hip file. I imported the first box from the first .hip file into the 2nd .hip file and nothing happens. how do you do this in houdini? thanks.

Edited by treebucks

What Cody said. Also you can copy and paste node networks between files if that's easier or more logical than saving out geometry depending on the situation. When copying a node network Houdini saves out a file to the temporary file to the drive with the contents of the copied node network, when pasting it into another file Houdini reads from the drive whatever node network was copied last so the original scene doesn't have to be open.

What Cody said. Also you can copy and paste node networks between files if that's easier or more logical than saving out geometry depending on the situation. When copying a node network Houdini saves out a file to the temporary file to the drive with the contents of the copied node network, when pasting it into another file Houdini reads from the drive whatever node network was copied last so the original scene doesn't have to be open.

thanks. this technique is easy. i will use this method for now.