How to apply force to an empty object?

magneto

Hi,

I have a flip tank and I am using Embed into Fluid shelf tool to add an object into the flip fluid but I want to apply some force to this object while it moves with the fluid particles.

How can I do this? I tried adding Wind Force DOP on the empty object's network but no change. I used Gas Field VOP to add my force onto vel but still no change.

Can I also affect the rotation of this object using the flip fluid but not the position so the object stays fixed in the fluid?

you can plug POP Solver to Multisolver that was created by Embed Fluid

then plug POP Wind, POP Force, or POP to that POP Solver and done

since Embed in fluid is advecting individual points of the Geometry, we can't be talking here about position and rotation of the object, unless your object is Packed Primitive 

so I will assume your object is Packed and Gas Velocity Stretch should already be taking care of position and rotation

so to ensure that position will not change you can just save rest in sops and then just add geo wrangle to the same multisolver: @P = @rest;

just be aware that Embed In Fluid setup affect the points so if your geometry is packed primitive it acts on centroid, so it may not behave as you expect. Maybe you rather want RBDs with position constraint and fluidforce?

• Like 1

Thanks anim, you are so smart :) Yes I was using packed primitives. I was just trying the shelf item Embed Fluid but it was deforming each points so I was trying to see if I can make it do those things I mentioned in the OP. So now it works.

I will try the RBD and fluid force then, I used RBDs in fluids but didn't try fluid force so it should be good. What's the use of Embed Fluid though? I don't know why you want something to deform in a fluid. Is it for things like foam, etc that deforms with the fluid?

I think it was mostly for advecting vorticles, back in the days when smoke solver used vorticles, which were particles advected by the fluid sim introducing some local rotational movement

the shelf icon and description is misleading though

• Like 1