texture (uv) transfer from one object to the same or another

hello

I have a couple of situations that I need to transfer one stationary object's UV to the same animated Object.

- for this one It is possible to use a point sop  ( as far as I know), " add texture" from input 2 over 1.

but I've heard experienced people avoid using point sop ( for good reasons apparently)  and try to to these kind of stuff in other sops and vops.

I want to know am I restricted to do this in point sop or there is another way , maybe more convenient and fast.

- another question is for applying UV from one object ( still or animated ) to another object with different topology . I don't know this either.

please help me with these matters.

thank you very much

for copying attributes between objects with exactly the same topology, you could simply use a attribute copy.

If you do not have the same point numberings anymore, just add an extra attribute before the two points that diverges, that stores the point number at that time,

then you can match the attribute by that attribute.

in any case, a pointVop will always be better than a point sop in terms of speed (it can be multithreaded, which the point sop cannot)

experiment a little bit with it, but it should be relatively easy to transfer attributes between inputs, using an "import attribute" node

Finally, to transfer between objects that do not have the same topology, you can use the attribtransfer node or a ray node in certain cases

thank you acey195!

-I think attribute transfer node can't serve the purpose because It uses some kind of kernel selection fall off so if I use scatter sop "in texture space", the points constantly moves.

but attribute copy for the same two identical objects worked.

- another way would be Attribute vop sop... with "import attribute" ( or Bind, maybe).

but I don't know the workflow..... It would be cool if some one show me how is this setup in vops or Attribute wrangler... 

Edited by haaranoos

Using Attribute VOP

Put down

Attribute VOP

put your animated geo on the first input

put your static geo with UV on the second input

inside of VOP

put 'Import Point Attribute' (if your UV attribute on Vertex, put down 'Import Vertex Attribute' instead).

Signature Vector3

Input Second Input

Attribute uv

Drop down Bind and connect the output from Import Point Attribute.

On Bind

Name uv

Type Vector(vector)

(if your UV is on vertex, you have to change Attribute Bindings 'Run Over' to Vertices on your Attribute VOP tab.)

Using Attribute Wrangle

@uv = point(1, "uv", @ptnum);

Edited by bluciensky
  • Like 2

thank you .. bluciensky!  :) 

simple and forward.

point sop, attribute copy, wranglers and Vop sops do the same things.

but seems like the priority and efficiency is like:

1: wranglers and vops

2: attribute transfer    ( is this single thread too?!... or any other nodes other than wranglers and vops and other vex context?)

3: point sop 

but seems like the priority and efficiency is like:

1: wranglers and vops

2: attribute transfer    ( is this single thread too?!... or any other nodes other than wranglers and vops and other vex context?)

don't assume, try

there is always Performance Monitor you can use to compare speed of operators when you are in doubt

Attribute Transfer for example was sped up massively around H12 and it may be able to handle simple pointcloud lookup faster than VEX, of course it's not as flexible (but if comparing the same functionality)

Attribute Copy can be faster than VEX as well for the same operation

and many other node, measuring speed by yourself is the easiest way to get the answer, you can run it on simple model then heavy one, to find out how well it scales, etc

• Like 2