How to do disintegration effects using volumes?

magneto

Hi,

If you want to an object being eaten away, or rotting, etc. I thought I could merge/mix volumes but I don't know how to create the pattern that will grow over time and look random.

Is there a better way? Should I be using particles instead or in addition?

I played around with the SOP solver using noise in VOP's to drive negative displacement and then remeshing as it pipes out, onto the next frame as it rinses and repeats... If you want to have more control, you'd just create a texture in comp to (or COP's, for those who uses those) and drive the erosion with that. And you can of course use this in the other direction, growing stuff like mold like structures... :)

• Like 1

For the basic setups I did, no, I just used the remesh node. The downside of keeping it as a mesh is when you will come to the point where the negative displacement goes into negative values and starts doing funky stuff - unless you handle this in VOP's, setting it up so it can't go beyond that point. 

And setting up the mesh being eaten away as in deleting points/polys, well, you'd do that in SOP's, use the clip node, delete points by boundary, whatever works for what you want.

Using volumes you won't run into the issue with mesh reversal, but doing high res volume operations in a solver will of course be pretty darned computationally expensive - add to that the per frame meshing - but handling it as mesh can be expensive too, keeping the mesh dense enough for the remeshing not to create noticeable flickering, etc... You just gotta play around and see what works... :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I did some erosion experiments a while back using VDB's.  I'm not sure where the hip file is, but the overall workflow was to use particles converted to VDB, and then use the VDB combine in a solver node to subtract away at the collision SDF each frame.  Then mesh it with VDB convert.  It worked fairly well on a basic box. I liked the volume approach because the polygons don't get stretched as the erosion happens.