Dune sand

S2jo

Hi, 

I come here today to ask you some help for a project i'm working on. 

The scene takes place in a desert and i have to make the dune of the foregroud in sand. 
The idea is that a helmet and a sabre fall down in the sand, so the sand have to react consequently. 
My first tests were bad because my zone of simulation was too big (i think) 
So when i launch the simulation, my computer crash after 5/6 frames... 

To resolve this probleme, i reduce the zone of simulation, but it's always taking a lot of time and when i rise up the resolution of my particles, the computer crash... 

I don't know if i'm working in the good way, i'm quite new in houdini, so may be i've not the good pipeline for this project... 
I'm trying to optimize the scene but it's complexe for me to have something good... 

In the scene you can see that a lot of my objects are in a subnetwork that i scaled, i don't know if it's the good way to scale my scene... 

I'm lost with this work... if someone have directions to give me, or a way to optimize my scene to get what i want, it should be really nice ! 

Sorry for my english, tell me if it's not undertandable.

I attached my scene file, and i don't know why i can't attach abc files if someone knows why :P 

Have a good day dear houdinisss ;) 

Scene_Desert_36_refine_scne.hip

Hey Jose,

for the alembic bit , convert that into a bgeo -> file write , and file read and lock the node and send it across ,

for the scene scaling , as general method , if you are importing from maya and rendering it in mantra , its better to have the camera and objects scaled down in maya and bring it back into houdini with the scale that you want, not a good idea to scale the houdini camera

send me the locked dune file and will have a look at it

Cheers,

J  

• Like 1

Yes, kind of what i want, thanks !! :P

i've done a new scene from scratch with everything scale before exporting to houdini, 

Give me few minuts and i send you the new file if you don't mind, so you can tell me if i'm doing well. 

Edited by S2jo

Hey ! 

here is the scene cleaned up. 
Even if the sim zone is smallest than my fisrt tests, my computer crash... 

I'm trying to do like the node in H15 "awake by geometry" 

Do you think is going to help me ? 

I don't know how to optimize more the scene ti e able to launch the sim on my computer... 

I have 24 Gb of ram, an i7 2600k, and a geforce gtx 560. 

Scene_Desert_Rescale_46.hipsource_grain.rar

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jih9ssgrgba2zk4/collisionbox_dune.rar?dl=0

Edited by S2jo

Hey ! 
here is the file with the "wakeUp_with_volume". 
I'm trying to do the same than in H15 but in h15 they are using some new nodes... 
So i copied de vex expression, but i don't know which node i have to use to make the same than in H15. 

I attached here the two vex expressions. 

post-13355-0-77749400-1445612844_thumb.j

Scene_Desert_Rescale_47.hip

Block_if.txt

end_if.txt