Box modelling with reference images?

Gurbo

Howdy.

Sorry about my newbieness.

Can anyone please give me some tips on setting up reference images to model from?

I made a grid. Applied a VEX Decal to it - which tiled to each polygon. So I applied a UV Texture SOP to it and selected every face. Now it's one big image. Looks fine. I went back to OBJ made a new box model and turned on 'See all Models'.

Now, how can I set the properties on that Box to transparency so I can model to the picture underneath?

I tried to apply a VEX Glass coloured blue but since I like to model in flat shaded with wireframe I still can't see my reference image beneath it.

Looking forward to any replies

Thanks

Gurb

Hello Gurb,

I don't know the answer to your question when using a shader on a grid for viewport transparency (maybe vex shaded?) but I think you might have better luck with loading a texture in the background. Just hit space d in the viewport to bring up the options.

For a quick tutorial check out SESI's site:

SESI Modeling Videos

Watch the last video : Intro to SubD Modelling

Cheers,

Rick

Maybe xray mode will help you. Go to list mode for objects and it's the far right flag button.

Thanks for your reply, sibarrick. I found the Xray mode but clicking on it didn't seem to make any visible change. I hunted through the help files but no joy.

Thanks for the tip on the Sub D modeling video Rick. I was aware of it but hadn't gotten around to viewing it. Really nice interaction on the background image setup and the soft radius slider to stop geometry bunching up is a real treat. Guess I'll just model in wireframe until I'm more familiar with this beast. :unsure:

Stephen

I wasn't sure if it would.

Xray mode is useful is objects are behind or inside another object. Then when you are in shaded mode the xray objects will be shown with a wireframe outline that is always visible. It's the default mode for bones, so you can always see them inside your character.

1. In the SHOPs network, put down a new VEX surface shader (doesn't matter which one) and go to the OpenGL tab and set the OpenGL alpha to something less than 1. Obviously a lower number indicates more transparency, 0 being invisible. You may or may not want to disable the "use lighting" option here as well.

2. In your SOP network before your modelling operations, put down a ShaderSOP and apply the shader that you just put down in the SHOPs network.

3. Make sure that you have "Transparency" enabled in the display options under the "Misc" tab.

4. Model something cool and post it here. :)

• 9 months later...
3. Make sure that you have "Transparency" enabled in the display options under the "Misc" tab.

15430[/snapback]

Stu,

Thanks for the reply,

It took a while for your reply to sink in...

I've been able to get it to work now - I was looking for the transparency check box in the shader parms. Just curious though. I set the OpenGL tab in the VEX plastic SHOP networkto 0.3 but it still looks fully opaque in the the SHOP viewer window.

Is this a graphics card thing because it is Open GL?

Thanks

Gurbo

hey gurbo,

the opengl tab is only for reference in the sop/obj viewers.. the shader view in shops or vops comes directly from the shader itself and applies it to a shader ball/tube/torus/grid.. since the vex plastic shader doesn't support opacity in the shader itself, you won't see it through the shop viewer..

however if you were to throw say a super material down and mess with its alpha parameters (para,perp,roll), you will see it affect the shader ball in the viewport.. just make sure transparency is turned on (bottom stow bar, next to background tab)

hth,

dave