VDB Smoke trail setup problem

lj88

Hi guys. I am trying to do a VDB Smoke/Dust trail setup. I have a pop network creating a trail of particles who's color fades of by nage. To which I am copying spheres and I convert them into fog using VDB FROM POLYGON node. I also create a volume from Cd attribute. Then I multiply these two two density and Cd volumes to get the fade off.  It works but i get a lot of jitters in this method. 

I also try converting the particles directly into fog using VDB FROM PARTICLES node. This creates a jitter less fog, to which I can maybe add noise and get more details later. But in this method multiplying Cd attribute volume to density to make it fade off doesn't work. 

It would be great if I get some pointers from you guys how to solve these issues. Or is there a better method to do this setup. Please check out the hip file. 

Thanks

smoke_trail.hipnc

• Like 1

I personally would be using the 'vdbfromparticles' like you are, but instead of creating a vector volume from Cd I would only create the 'density' field. Then inside the vop you have underneath instead of using the Cd volume I would sample the color from the particles themselves using point clouds. Definately more efficient than creating a heavy vector field just for multiplying the density.

Cheers Jake.

smoke_trail_changes.hipnc