colored Smoke

Jimena

Hello! 

SETUP:

*I have 3 emitters, because I want 3 different colors in my smoke.

*Each emitter's fields create a new field (Cd.x,Cd.y,Cdz) so that the Cd attribute can be stored there.

*In the Dopnet, those newly created vector fields are called and they create the Dataname (that is the color stored), which is also used to be driven by the vel (with gas advect) so that color doesn´t remain static.

*Then in the shader you just tell it to use the 3 color values you have there.

The PROBLEM is that my color doesnt match my smoke, because the color appears only on a small percentage of the smoke (only on a small part of the density) and the rest is black.

I think that maybe the color was just created at the beginning of the simulation so that is why it remains on some parts of the volume (the highest and oldest ones -->what it seems were the first ones emitted)

I attached an image so you can see in the render my problem (color is only visible on render, not on viewport)

There is also my hip file so you can see what I did and explain me further if you can detect a problem

post-9277-0-78750100-1448867388_thumb.jp

2smokes_v04.hip

Thank you Fencer!

Your answer put me in a closer direction, but I normalized the colors on the shader because I couldnt make it work on a volume vop :s

The problem now is that the normalization is giving me a weird look where the colors are mixing. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks again

post-9277-0-86698200-1448975385_thumb.jp

Edited by Jimena

Oh I see :) your file is so much clearer... it put things on the right perspective. Thanks again!

The thing is that I created a different color field (Cd, Cd2, Cd3) for each emitter (red,gree,blue) because I didnt want the colors to blend in the smoke, does that make sense?

I thought that by putting the smokes in the same solver, they could interact; and that by giving each one a specific color field, their colors wouldnt blend.

Maybe this approach is in the wrong direction :wacko:  but I want the smokes to collide and affect each other without mixing their colors (I dont want them to get the in-between colors: yellow, pink, orange, etc..)

Edited by Jimena

Fencer, your solution is close but missing a few important details.

In your setup you're adding a Cd vector field from the SOP source, but only at the start of the sim. You need to intoduce a source to continuously add values to the Cd field. By just normalizing the output, you'll magnify really small values where the color has prviously been advected through. If you do something like add another emitter later in the sim or animate one of the emitters you'll get really weird results.

One simple way to source color is to remap the vector field of the sourcevolume DOP from velocity to Cd. You might want to build a more streamlined solution yourself, but this should do the trick in a pinch.

See attached example.

• Like 2

Fencer, your solution is close but missing a few important details.

In your setup you're adding a Cd vector field from the SOP source, but only at the start of the sim. You need to intoduce a source to continuously add values to the Cd field. By just normalizing the output, you'll magnify really small values where the color has prviously been advected through. If you do something like add another emitter later in the sim or animate one of the emitters you'll get really weird results.

One simple way to source color is to remap the vector field of the sourcevolume DOP from velocity to Cd. You might want to build a more streamlined solution yourself, but this should do the trick in a pinch.

See attached example.

hi, CiaranM

you are right, it works only with initial state

will be good to see your example (attachment)

Hello CiaranM!

I suspected the color was only emitted at the beginning but I couldnt figure out another way to solve this. Please share your file so I can see how you solved this.

Is it possible to dont make the colors in the smoke blend (so i dont get mixed colors: orange, pink, etc)?   like... just make the smoke thick/heavy/viscuous enough so that they just push each other around but dont mix their colors