Reflection from a pool of water

Folks,

I'm trying to do a small scene where I have a small pool of water with a 3d model hovering and moving over pool of water. Basically what I want is to have the reflection of the 3d model be accurately cast on the pool of water.....especially as it moves over the water.

The problem is that I'm not entirely sure how to go about getting such an effect as so far I've only do simple models and shading....I've not really do much with VOPS yet as I'm totally confused by that part of houdini! :)

Does anyone have general ideas or techniques that I could investigate in order to get this effect ?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Starhorn

some of the embedded houdini shaders have a reflectivity. i don't have houdini in front of me right now, but i think they're in vops>surface shaders, and the name is reflective surface or chrome surface, some like that. if you apply it to water it'll reflect your hovercraft. of course, you might have to tweak it for a while to get it to look like water. hope that helps,

luka

some of the embedded houdini shaders have a reflectivity.  i don't have houdini in front of me right now, but i think they're in vops>surface shaders, and the name is reflective surface or chrome surface, some like that. if you apply it to water it'll reflect your hovercraft.  of course, you might have to tweak it for a while to get it to look like water. hope that helps,

luka

15824[/snapback]

Hmmm,

I would prefer a fresnel shader ! This shader is physically correct for dielectric media and should therefore give realistic results...

Arno