Lightwave Camera -> Houdini ?

lisux

Hi all.

I'm trying to use Lightwave for some parts of my works, i need to pass the Lightwave camera to Houdini and viceversa. Anybody knows how to do it? Are there any tutorial to do it, or some scripts to acomplish it?

I'm thinking to use a tracking program like boujou to integrate rendered footage in one program to the other.

To get the camera in both platforms, make all the camera settings in one of them, render a simple animatic, for example a flipbook, and use it to track the camera into boujou and pass the camera tracked to the other program.

What you think about this method?

Other suggestions, or anybody who has experience doing this type of conversions?

Thanks

Hi all.

I'm trying to use Lightwave for some parts of my works,  i need to pass the Lightwave camera to Houdini and viceversa. Anybody knows how to do it?

15937[/snapback]

I have a short "awk" script which transforms the houdini-cam-channels to a LW-mot.file

#!/bin/sh

#

# chan file from houdini:

# tx

# ty

# tz

# rx

# ry

# rz

#

# e.g.:

# -464.698 158.928 -333.196 -24.1348 -86.2417 -0.00269062

# -464.575 159.277 -333.636 -24.5618 -86.4251 -0.00265272

# -464.464 159.653 -334.074 -24.9888 -86.5786 -0.00261483

#

lines=`wc -l $1|awk '{print $1}'`

nawk 'BEGIN {

print "LWMO"

print "1"

print "9"

print LINES

}

{

print $1, $2, $3*-1, $5*-1, $4*-1, $6, "1 1 1"

print NR, "1 0 0 0"

}

END {

}' LINES=$lines $1

exit 0

hope this helps.

Thanks Mike, i'm more used to Perl but i think awk isn't difficult.

I'll try to pass it to TCL or Perl, so i can use it into Windows, i have a linux box too so i test it in the next week.

How you pass from Lightwave cam to Houdini?

Thanks again

Thanks Mike, i'm more used to Perl but i think awk isn't difficult.

I'll try to pass it to TCL or Perl, so i can use it into Windows, i have a linux box too so i test it in the next week.

How you pass from Lightwave cam to Houdini?

Thanks again

15941[/snapback]

we have never done this,but I think if you do the opposite way with the channel-multiplications it should work.

you have to delete all the blue lines. for the channelstuff: it is possible todo all this with CHOPS operators.

LWMO

-12 8 -250 0 0 0 1 1 1

1 1 0 0 0

-12 8 -250 0 0 0 1 1 1

2 1 0 0 0

-12 8 -250 0 0 0 1 1 1

3 1 0 0 0-

12 8 -250 0 0 0 1 1 1

we have never done this,but I think if you do the opposite way with the channel-multiplications it should work.

you have to delete all the blue lines. for the channelstuff: it is possible todo all this with CHOPS operators.

Yes, i suppossed that.

And what about to translate the Aperture Camera and other view parameters to Lightwave, do you need to make any conversion here?

Yes, i suppossed that.

And what about to translate the Aperture Camera and other view parameters to Lightwave, do you need to make any conversion here?

15968[/snapback]

as I remember, aperture, aspect .. are the same as in houdini.

we have done a lot of composing (mainscene--> houdini, lightfx--> LW) and we never had problems.

as I remember, aperture, aspect .. are the same as in houdini.

we have done a lot of composing (mainscene--> houdini, lightfx--> LW) and we never had problems.

15969[/snapback]

Ok that's great, passing maya camera to houdini is really a headache comparing with working with lightwave cam.

Other doubts, i haven't use lightwave anytime, but seen a friend working with it i began to think that the team houdini-lightwave will be a grat tool.

So you often use them, can you explain, briefly, the pros and cons of both, or why you use both, when you use houdini, when you use lightwave.

It's only to have an idea of where one is better, and where the other is better.

Many thanks again mike.

P.D: i want to pass your awk script to TCL, and make a little GUI for it, i think it could be useful for you too.

So you often use them, can you explain, briefly, the pros and cons of both,  or why you use both, when you use houdini, when you use lightwave.

15970[/snapback]

we use LW only for lightfx, like lensflare,glooms, halos....

because for this kind rendering LW is much much faster and the quality is better.

for the rest >90 % we use houdini.

that means:

export cam from houdini

export the geometry as .obj

import both in LW

use the .obj files as matte

setup your lights

render and composit the pictures.

<P.D: i want to pass your awk script to TCL, and make a little GUI for <it, i think it could be useful for you too.

yes would be nice.thanxs