Layered Ocean Evaluations

Syrena

Hello!

Now to tackle my second problem here.  Again, as I mentioned in another topic, I'm working on a ship on the ocean scene. One of the key ingredients i need is the ocean to have larger swells with the higher frequency waves riding along on top. Okay, I did read that you can pump one oceaneval into another, but when I had tried that, they didn't add together correctly.

So how can we create lower frequency waves, at a lower res (smooth), then add the higher res high frequency waves, so they combine together correctly and the final displacement map is correct?

Thank you for your time!

Hi!

Because the ocean spectrum node gives volume primitives with frequency and amplitude information to ocean evaluate, you can use a volume mix node (experiment with the blending modes) between two ocean spectrum nodes with different settings, then just connect the output to the ocean evaluate and voila!

You can try also a texture compositing approach, its way more versatile, because you can tweak (distort, offset, invert, etc) also the uv coordinates for nice blending effects.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

Edited by Pazuzu
  • Like 1

Hi!

Because the ocean spectrum node gives volume primitives with frequency and amplitude information to ocean evaluate, you can use a volume mix node (experiment with the blending modes) between two ocean spectrum nodes with different settings, then just connect the output to the ocean evaluate and voila!

You can try also a texture compositing approach, its way more versatile, because you can tweak (distort, offset, invert, etc) also the uv coordinates for nice blending effects.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

Okay that work Pazuzu! Thanks!  One more thing here.  I write out the displacement map, and use the ocean shader.  When I render the sequence, the ocean shader is calculating displacement for every frame which really slows the process down.  Is there a way to just bake out the ocean, then render with displacement disabled in the shader or some sorts?

• 2 weeks later...