Creating Smoke Trails From Exploding Debris

arkahtek

i really need help creating smoke trails from chunks of debris ejecting from an explosion. i'm getting smoke trails but its not connecting all the way so its looking like a broken smoke trail so to speak. I have the .hip file with notes. i'm nearly finished with this project. All i really need is to get a decent looking smoke trail emitting from the debris.  I started this project not having a clue about what i was doing. I read some of the houdini manual on what different nodes do in the simulation i was trying to create as well as I searched the internet and took bits and pieces of info from multiple tutorials to get me this far. I posted here before but only received one reply from Carlo C ( Thanks buddy ) I'm hoping someone can dive into my project to help me understand what i need to do to achieve these results. I'm thinking maybe a trail node? but i'm not sure where to apply it, if that's what i even need. MAAAAN I'm lost.. Thanks Guys

post-12008-0-80241400-1455380001_thumb.p

DEBRIS FOR EXPLOSION.hip

post-12008-0-79817900-1455383322_thumb.p

post-12008-0-29398000-1455388081_thumb.p

Edited by arkahtek

Hi,

I am not in front of Houdini now but you can use Fluid Source node to source density into your smoke simulation. Check motion blur settings of this node to get rid of empty space between frames. 

Another approach might be to source particles from your debris into particle simulation and convert them to volume afterwards.

I will check your file when I will be able to.

Juraj

hey juraj.. thank you very much i would appreciate any help you can give...i've only been in houdini for a little over a year creating pyro explosions..but i've never delved into particles before. i'm going to try to do what you said above..by using the fluid source node into source density node and checking the motion blur settings. Just a heads up..for anyone else checking out the file the smoke sim can be found inside the debris sim node

Edit: Ok so it looks like i can only apply a fluid source node inside a geometry node.. the debris sim node contains the pyro sim, so its not letting me apply a fluid source node since its not a geometry node.  I dived into the debris sim node..trying to connect the fluid source node to my source_ density_from_debris_source.

Edited by arkahtek

In general, when dealing with any fast moving volume source, you need to make sure that either you have a well interpolated source or that you are allowing enough substeps for houdini to process the source to eliminate some of the stepping.  Since putting a lot of substeps on you volume simulations isn't always the most efficient way of doing things, my go to would be to interpolate my source.  You could do this many ways but the easiest that comes to mind is by using either a  trail sop or doing a particle simulation on your debris pieces.  

This hip file should give you a rough idea on what im talking about.

odforce_help_file.hipnc

• Like 2

Thank you Jordan ..I'm checking your file now. I really appreciate the feedback.

jordan your file is awesome, i'm  breaking down your file. i didn't know you can have all those stuff inside 2 geo nodes ;) the values you entered in the size and center of the smoke sim. what do they do exactly? Also in the attribute wrangle can you please explain what those values do as well. Thanks

Still breaking down your file..whew..i saw your sticky in the smoke sim node..i'm trying to substitute what you did to my project..it doesn't seem to work.. In my project i used the shelf tool Debris to create the particles ..inside the Debris source node ..the node called compute velocity is actually a trail node. I used the same settings you used. I'm also lost on where i add the time blend and time shift node.. in my chain as well as the vdb nodes you used. I'll try messing around with the compute velocity aka the trail node and see what happens.

you built this whole sim from scratch ..jeez i see i have alooooooot to learn ..i'm rebuilding what you did so as to try to understand what does what

edit 2: i rebuilt what you did ...and it works, i'm going to practice with this file and make variations to see what it does..Jordan again thank you for taking the time out to post this file for me.. i really appreciate it.

post-12008-0-67443900-1455457320_thumb.p

Edited by arkahtek

I am not too sure what the shelf tools do but I went back and put a much more detailed explanation of what I am doing in the VOLUME_WORK geometry node on some sticky notes, so have a look and hopefully this will give you a better understanding of what each node is doing. The purpose of this technique is to do as much work at the sop level context as you can so that you aren't making you smoke simulation do all the heavy lifting.  There are multiple way to getting this to work so don't take this as the only cut and dry way of achieving this.

odforce_help_file_002.hipnc

• Like 2

jordan thank you so much brother..i'm downloading it now..i really want to learn how things work behind the shelf tools..so this is a great start for me.. you're the man.

Jordan you have put a lot of effort into breaking this down for me..i'm really starting to understand it now with your sticky notes. Thank you sooooo much. After i go over your project file a couple times, i'm going to try to rebuild what i did using your method.

Edited by arkahtek