Density noise with VDBs?

Pancho

I need to create a biscuit like structure. From all I know VDBs are my friend in terms of this subject. I've seen people subtract spheres from vdbs in order to create a cheese. What I would like to do is subtract a procedural texture, like in the atribute vop to generate this procedural object. What would I need to do in order to make it work. Attribute vops on vdbs don't seem to work.

I'd be interested in

a ) change the density with the procedural texture (punch in wholes)

b ) displace the vdb in order to generate a different surface.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers

Tom

Edited by Pancho

Thanks,

that's exactly what I've been looking for. I thought in this video sphere's were converted for a subtraction of volumes.

Unfortunately I'm running into a small (big ?) problem with my vdb. At a certain voxel size it stops working. Reconverting the strange vdb results in an empty file.

Scaling my polygon object and changing the voxel size didn't help. Is this a memory error?

Cheers

Tom

post-13587-0-27142200-1456854931_thumb.p

post-13587-0-78807900-1456854941_thumb.p

As much as I like Strob's solution in general, for something like cheese, I'd rather use a scatter and copy a sphere for holes, so I can shift them away from the bottom and back... If I were to make a sponge, I'd probably go for a VOP solution using noise, for sure.

cheese.hip

Edited by Farmfield

Ha! Found the mistake. After mirroring the object in Modo the center points weren't merged. So actually there were two single meshes. At a certain displacement level by the attribute vop there was a gap in the middle and the conversion didn't work anymore.

My fault!