houdini Sand disintegration

hello... I'm new to houdnin from maya and I have a project where we have to disintegrate a person and. I want to have an effect similar to one i've seen in the new x-men trailers... here is the link youtube.com/watch?v=PfBVIHgQbYk . at around 51 seconds you can see the objects disintegrating into somewhat sand like but also still retaining there original color. I know the basics of houdini but I'm not sure how to approach this effect if anyone would be so kind as to help me get started that would be great.

there's lots of ways to skin this cat. from 2D based masks to 3D noise to 3D pyro.

I suggest you start with blocking first. Get your timing down. Then do the fx in sops using only a noise field to advect the points. Then do it with particles because that looks a bit better. Then start working on it in flip particles, switch halfway to trying the sand solver... then run out of time and use your first daily. Ha! Just kidding.

Serious though there's a ton of good stuff over at https://vimeo.com/goprocedural

especially this one: