time lapse video with nodes?

Hi

Is there a way to play through a nodes like a video?I mean I have a model that start with box so if i play it it will be like box>> edit >> poly extrude ..and etc.That way instead of showing every single step , you will see like

timelapse video..

Hope I make myself clear. :unsure:

edited .. ok.. I can do it manuallly by click on the display flag of each node but there are like 100 of nodes. :ph34r:

here, try this out:

1. Select all the nodes you want to be "work progression video".. if it's all of them, then select all of them.. if not, then just select the ones you want.

2. Click on one of the node's footprint flag (purple). this should set all the selected nodes to their footprint flag.

3. In the View pane, go to the Operator menu and choose "Merge Operation With All Footprints". This will take all those nodes and wire them into a single merge sop with a default name of 'scene'. (This is just handy in itself when wanting to merge a bunch of things at once).

4. Now right click on the merge sop 'scene' and choose 'Change Type'. In the drop down menu, select the Switch Sop and accept.

5. In the switch sop, put $T or $F with some multiplier added on to adjust the speed you want the operators to fly by at. $T seems to be a good starting point.

And there you go.. play it back and it should be there. You could either do a render of this or even just and opengl flipbook.

Something to note:

Select whatever nodes you want to when doing this, but most likely you will only want to select the most "linear" nodes. For example, if you have several things coming down to one merge sop, or a copy sop, or a point sop, or whatever. Then you may have to do this several times for each section of your network and have a switch for each area. Also selecting everything won't always be the best thing to do. i.e. you copy a model to a template of a grid. You don't want to have a movie playing of your model progressing and then all the sudden there's a random frame of a grid. Might as well just skip over that part. Or say you have two complex networks coming to the same point and continue on down the line. Have two different video progressions of the two sections playing back side by side and when it comes down to them merging, have the two video playbacks merge into one video.

Does that make sense at all? I'm assuming this is for a reel breakdown or whatever, so my comments here are basically this: take into account that the viewer has no idea what you network looks like and showing them through like this is a great thing. But if things come out of nowhere, then it won't help at all. Take the effort to bring things together in a logical and visual way.

hth,

dave