How to perfect fractured a sphere into tetrahedrons ?

jingyisw

On 9.7.2016 at 4:55 PM, Farmfield said:

And I have yet to dig deeper into how the extract transforms thingie works that Petz solved it with - I only come so far as to understand it's actually calculating a transform compared to something else. 

in the file i´ve posted i didn´t actually extract transformations from the thetrahedrons. it´s more about finding the rigid transformation between two geometrys in a least squares sense, or more precisely it´s the method described in this paper LINK.  what i ment by "extractTransform" was the existing object node in houdini which uses pretty much the same algorithm under the hood. it´s only available in the obj-context but fairly easy to bring into sops. anyway, both method are used in the uploaded file.

hth.

petz

Edited by petz

Yeah, I managed to figure that out - I think the term is pretty misleading, it really is an alignment more than anything else.

Now, still haven't figured out how it's set up - and why. It's about coordinate space, I'm guessing, using the subnets. Need to dig into that more but I've been stuck with other stuff. :P

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2016 at 6:50 AM, f1480187 said:

@Butachan, intrinsics access from Expression functions available from 515 build:

prim("../sphere1", 0, "intrinsic:measuredperimeter", 0)

Just anted to confirm indeed everything worked fine after I updated! thanks.

...Upps didn't realize the thread had progressed a lot after I checked the file...hehehehe. This solutions are pretty cool by the way.

Edited by Butachan