Join Head To Body?

Atom

Hey Cyril,

It really depends on the situation, but say you use polybridge on a character with UVs, the new quads won't have proper UVs, though I could be wrong about that.  Not to say topobuild would solve that, unless you only fused points when you did it.

The biggest issue though is topology, unless you had the same number of points on either edge, you'll get triangles, and the front of the neck, for example, is a very bad place for triangles, it's almost guaranteed to cause artifacts during deformation.  Placing the triangles correctly the first time could save a ton of grief.

But fast is a matter of perspective I would say, the VDB/topobuild method would handle basically every scenario, and with a shelf tool for the set up, personally I could get the seam worked out beautifully every time in seconds. :) 

in seconds ! then I should get into the topobuild deeper.

I'm aware of the benefits of full quads, for the moment I'm not considering the heavy process of full characters mod/rig/capture... I'm having enough fun discovering all the different torture you can expose a "still" mesh with Houdini. So the polybridge method seemed to be the quicker for me... but... I'm curious about the topobuild method when the parts havn't got the same number of points at seem edges? still seconds?

6 hours ago, 6ril said:

in seconds ! then I should get into the topobuild deeper.

It's really dependent on the scenario, if I need quad only edges (for a higher res character for example) then it might take me a minute or so to create clean loops, something like where the edges on the back of the neck come up and loop back down, though it could take bit longer if there's odd, or non-symmetrical edges.  But if I'm just hiding the triangles on the back of the neck (with pen tablet at least) it's as quick as just swiping points to fuse them, and maybe then give a swipe with the smooth brush. 

I work almost exclusively with characters though, so I tend to prefer to do things "by hand", which is often contrary to how the majority of Houdini artists think.