how to achieve tihs kind of splash effect

Hi all:

i'm working on a shot which is similar to the effect of the movie Battleship

I've been working on it almost 3 weeks .but I can't achieve the effect exactly

here is some screenshots of Battleship,could you give me some advice about the splash?

thank you all.

battleship_1.png

battleship_2.png

battleship_3.png

I wouldn't call this a splash, as it's an explosion.

an explosion on water, so lots of sim work!

pyro + fluid + debris/smoke trails + rbd.

Or maybe you just want the water fx ? But what would be the cause?

I guess you need to provide a lot more info in order to get some help. Specially if you've been working on it for 3 weeks, you must have some material and/or precise problems.

16 minutes ago, 6ril said:

I wouldn't call this a splash, as it's an explosion.

an explosion on water, so lots of sim work!

pyro + fluid + debris/smoke trails + rbd.

Or maybe you just want the water fx ? But what would be the cause?

I guess you need to provide a lot more info in order to get some help. Specially if you've been working on it for 3 weeks, you must have some material and/or precise problems.

yes, I just want the water fx.i used Pop Advert by Volume,but the result is quite different

Edited by JesseVFX

I got next to zero experience with fluid sims in houdini, so I won't pretend to help you, sorry : /
I was just trying to help you get more efficient help from the members who knows about fluid sim.

do you want the same point of view (top/down cam)?

Hey, this is the nearest I've seen in a Houdini video online ... 

I'm guessing create a radial field using FluidSource SOP from points maybe (scatter points in circle, point normals away from centre, turn N into v) and then use that as a pump.  Or could do it a particle way & use POP axis force or POP wind maybe?

I´ve done something similar to the chopper effect....with another chopper effect, duh :P

The way I did it was to attribute transfer the velocity from the helicopter blades to some random points in the fluid, add some more randomness in VOPs and then use those points as pumps for the fluid.

I´m sure the same method can be used for a explosion. You would just need to get the velocity field from it, and transfer it to the fluid points, or maybe use an intermediate geometry to receive that velocity, "massage it" and then transfer it to the points that will act as pumps.

In theory you could transfer directly the velocity as you tried, with an advection, but from an artistic point of view it becomes a nightmare because only seldomly you will get a nice visual effect. Probably because the way the velocity affects pyro and fluids is very different regarding magnitudes/visual representation.

At least IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys ,

thank you for your all reply.those helped me a lot.

so, I made a specific geometry as a pump object to pump a splash tank.and then emit whitewater as my final result.

after few days tests,i made a version which is not quite good-looking,but I think the shape is almost close to what I wanted.

here is a sequence I rendered,please give me some advice after you watched this.THANKS:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoWBhpp36Yw&feature=youtu.be