Entagma Boolean Volume Denting

Atom

I watched the Entagma video on Boolean Volume Denting in Houdini. I put together an end scene from the tutorial and also extended it a bit. I wanted to test out how various shaped intersecting with one another would play out using this method.

Try switching in the various geometry types in the HIP file.

ap_vdb_denting_1a.hiplc

Here are a few shots.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Edited by Atom

I'm still playing around with this file. I added a new ObjectMerge type to the subject switch. For the object I brought in the Displaced Mapped UV Tube which is a parametric tube object. Even with a crudely displaced object merge source mesh the VDB conversion, dilate and smoothing adds a nice organic feel to it.

ap_vdb_denting_1b.hiplc

Untitled-2.jpgUntitled-4.jpgUntitled-3.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Edited by Atom

Thanks, I have revised the scene quite a bit. The referenced geometry is now external to the processed result. The conversion network only accepts ObjectMerge for it's two mesh inputs. This allows you to setup your objects externally without the need for the VDB conversion, which can take a while on lower Voxel Size settings. Once you have your two source meshes setup, turn off the source for the result and turn on the VDB conversion node.

I have a 1st draft for preserving/transfering UVs for the result.

Untitled-2.jpg

In this image you can see the original source mesh with UVs in orange and the resulting VDB conversion in grey. The UV match is pretty good at higher resolutions but may flake out on lower resolution results.

Untitled-1.jpg

ap_vdb_denting_1f.hiplc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1