JP Shep

1 hour ago, Diego A Grimaldi said:

The "shards" are too uniform, you need much more size variations (few big ones and more mid-small size). Especially too large compared to the character. 

A lot more things with the render but I take it you didn't focus on it so I'm not going to mention it.

I'm going to try to add more variation using a [paint] sop so the pieces are smaller where the initial breaks are; I have clustering turned on as well so I'll play with those settings too.

I'm new to using mantra and the render was just a test render but do you have any tips that could help when I'm ready for the final?

Thanks for the feedback by the way ;D

Well, there are a lot of tricks to randomize shard sizes, explore this forum, tons of great resources.

Asides from that, for the rendering, a lot depends on the renderer you are using (Micropoly, Raytrace, or PBR). Perhaps for this you may wanna stick to micropoly.

Regardless of the render though, under sampling you may wanna bring up the PixelSamples to like 6-6, bring up the min ray samples and bring down the max ray (3-6 perhaps). In limits bring down the reflect and refract to 1 and up the diffuse limit to 1 as well.

The UVs, shading need work too...

27 minutes ago, Diego A Grimaldi said:

Well, there are a lot of tricks to randomize shard sizes, explore this forum, tons of great resources.

Asides from that, for the rendering, a lot depends on the renderer you are using (Micropoly, Raytrace, or PBR). Perhaps for this you may wanna stick to micropoly.

Regardless of the render though, under sampling you may wanna bring up the PixelSamples to like 6-6, bring up the min ray samples and bring down the max ray (3-6 perhaps). In limits bring down the reflect and refract to 1 and up the diffuse limit to 1 as well.

The UVs, shading need work too...

I can work on the UV's and the shading, I just threw a surface shader with a bump map on it.  I'll look up some of those sources for randomization as well.  Thanks for the advice.