Problem: No text in menu

Hi. I just installed Houdini v.7.0231 (Red Hat 9 version) without any trouble. Everything works as it should except that I see no text in the menus (but I see the menus). Does anyone know what might be wrong? All text in the application seem to work except the menus and the MessageBoxes.

I'm using Debian (latest Sarge) with kernel 2.6.8-2-686 with GeForce 3.

Thanks in advance.

Niklas

I already have the NVIDIA drivers installed. I installed v.1.0-7167 but now I saw that v.1.0-7174 is available. Maybe it will work if I upgrade to the latest drivers?

Installing the NVIDIA drivers was not a funny experience, so I would be very glad if I could skip going through that trouble again. :P

Is there a way to check if my OpenGL is working correctly?

If you've installed a version, you don't have to install the absolute latest.

Did you read the "README" file for instructions on how to load the drivers properly? I remember on Fedora I had to edit the XF86Config file to load "glx" & not load "DRI". Also, the driver name is "nvidia" instead of "nv".

I've never used or configure Debian before so I'm not sure if the above is the same.

Good luck!

Cheers!

steven

Yeah, I read the README and I changed everything I had to. In fact, the driver were not working correctly unless I edited the file correctly. Now when X starts I see the Nvidia logo, so the driver must've been installed correctly. I'm still not sure whether my OpenGL is working properly since I remember I got an error message regarding OpenGL when I tried to install another 3D related program (I think it was the 3D Desktop thingy).

Maybe I should go back to Ubuntu, where everything worked a lot better. The weird thing is that I've searched plenty of forums and I haven't seen anyone with a problem similiar to this.

I use RH7.3 at work & had the same problem as you when I got a second monitor though a driver update fixed that. Sorry I can't help you with Debian.

Sometimes, you might have to use an older version of the Nvidia drivers instead of the latest. I notice on my machine at home that the recent Win32 drivers are not performing as well as older ones. I think I'm going to download an old version to make sure I'm not going crazy. ;)

Good luck & please keep us posted!

Cheers!

steven

I've tested some now and found out that it's my OpenGL which isn't working properly (as you said) even though my Nvidia driver is working correctly. I've tried to use different mesa libraries with different results. With the current libraries (called xlibmesa-glu etc) is the text in the menu gone. When I tried another library (libosmesa6 etc) the text in the application and in the menu appeard, but everything ran so slow. It took around 10 seconds just to print out the grid lines, which rendered instantly when the menu text was gone.

So there's a problem with my current mesa drivers, but I can't find any that works correctly. I found out about the mesa drivers through this page: http://www.sidefx.com/support/notebook/tips-nvidia.shtml

I guess I have to test more and read, but I'll have to do that tomorrow since it's too late over here now. ;) Thanks for your help though.

I don't think Houdini links against Mesa anymore. That link is pretty old.

- don't forget to remove "dri" and "GLcore" from /etc/XF86Config-4 and change "nv" to "nvidia"

- make sure that /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL* point to the nvidia libraries, or move them out of the way

It's working now. I don't know what the problem was but I've had several problems with Debian before so I decided to use Ubuntu Linux instead. Now when I'm on it I would really recommend Ubuntu to anyone, it's working really good and easy to use (and install).

Thanks for you help anyway. =)