Rendering out Depth Maps for After Effects

Jebbel

Hi all!

Maybe this is a very stupid question... but it seems to be a difficult thing to do so here goes;
Is there an easier way to output depth maps for After Effects? I now have to import my renders into
Houdini and put them through a comp network to equalize the values to get a usable rgb map.

importing directly from Houdini into After Effects results in a black and white map with no detail in between.
How do you guys do it?

cheers,

Jeffrey

6 minutes ago, Shinjipierre said:

The values are above 1, you have to work with 16-32 bits EXRs to get the proper values. Also, after effects has to be set correctly (I think it's 8bits by default)

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I've tried 32bit across the board and it still loads as a single color. When I put it through a comp network and use equalize...then I get some range back.
I have no problem exporting a depth map. It's the import that's difficult; specifically After Effects.

it's also red...which seems weird :P. See attached "equalized" output.

LookdevV2-equalized_Depth.0001.jpeg

It's red because Zdepth is just one channel of information. It only needs the R component of RGB, R is the first component, ergo, red :) You could put the information in all channels to give you a black and white image but it's 2 channels of unnecessary information (I'm not sure what you're using in AE for your defocus but can you not just select a channel to use for depth information?).